1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component switching using svideo+composite sockets?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by richard plumb, Oct 26, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    from rllmukforum - any comments? apparantly this should work as all connectors are 75Ohm?

OK here's a nice little update for anyone interested in using this as a component switcher.

As I said before I did try using the composite in's and out's (Video, Audio Left and Audio Right) with my component cables but ended up with a very dark picture.
    This, I've since found out, is caused by the audio having a higher impedence (1000 Ohm) compared to the video (75 Ohm).
    I then found out that the S-Video's impedence is also 75 Ohm and seeing as it carrys 2 video signals (Y luminance and C chrominance) I figured I could use these 2 and the 1 composite video for the 3 component video signals.

Following a little chat with Yod@ about this last night he said I should make up some adapters (S-video plug to 2 phono females) to do the job.
    And that's just what I did today and I can happily report that it does indeed work.

I used some S-video cables I had along with some female phono cables and connected the luminance (1 and 3) to one phono and the chrominance (2 and 4) to the another.

[​IMG]

So I ended up with something like this -
    [​IMG]

Then I just plugged the audio leads of the component cable into the composite audio inputs, the green component lead into the composite video input, the red and blue component leads into the phonos of the adapter, and the adapter into the S-video input.
    The same for the other input component cables and also for the output one.

And now I have a remote controlled 4-1 RGB scart/component switcher set up in the following way.

RGB scart

Freeview Box
    Dreamcast
    US N64 (RGB modded)
    Saturn

Component
    Xbox
    Gamecube
    PS2

Optical
    Xbox
    PS2

As a test I turned on everything I had connected to it just to see if there was any interference between them all and there was none what so ever.

S-video plug to 2xphono sockets from Keene

New adaptor cable KLD73
    A short adaptor cable (20cm) consisting of an s-video plug to 2 phono line sockets - one for chroma & one for luma. Also useful for send 2 x composite video signals via an s-video cable.