1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component switching thru amp onto plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lab, Mar 27, 2003.

1. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    This query may be better suited to the Amplifier section but I know there are so many knowledgeable Bods who will know what I am talking about here so thought I will try my luck here first.
    I have a panasonic th50phd30 into which I had a ntldigibox connected via csy2100 rgb to component converter direct into plasma and a Dvd connected direct via component into Plasma.
    To eradicate the need for removing cables etc I have tried to utilise the component inputs on a Yamaha rx-v630rds.
    I have connected the dvd player up without any problems but I cannot get a picture from the digibox.
    I am using the same monster video cables in and out, I have tried swapping the cables with no joy.
    I have the digibox set to rgb, I have allocated the inputs on the amplifier,the dvd works no matter which input I use but the digibox just wont give me a picture.If I input the digibox directly bypassing the amp then I get picture no probs.
    Any clever bods out there got any ideas?:rolleyes:

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You seem to have tried all the options. Appears that a combination of the converter and the amp is the problem. I have used that converter with the component in on a Denon 1803 with no problems.

One more experiment - try the RGB Scart out on the DVD player through the converter into the amp. If that doesn't provide a picture then it looks pretty certain that for some reason the amp and the converter won't talk to each other.

3. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried connecting the DVD player to the other inputs on the amp?

Alternatively you could plug the digibox into the DVD inputs and see if that works.

The idea being to prove that all sets of connections work.

I use exactly the same amp for RGB switching at present, which I'll be using for component once the plasma's installed tomorrow night.

What digibox do you use and what RGB-YUV convertor do you have?

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow with my switching setup.

4. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philipb

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately No scart on the dvd player.:confused:

Jason, I have tried the dvd player into both component in sockets on the amp and it works on both, thedigibox is a pace ntldigital cable box, model di4001n and it won`t work on either input but presumably it isn`t an amp error as it works for dvd, the converter is cyp(uk) csy-2100.When I connect this up direct to plasma it works no problem so can1t be the converter, can it?
    When you say you are using the amp for rgb switching what do you mean?

5. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've some custom scart cables with RGB+ Composite Sync leads to phono's. These are conected using the component and composite connections of the amp and switched to my tv accordingly.

can't see why putting the amp in line for switching would cause it all to stop working.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    lab

Can't see anything obvious so far in the spec of your converter or amp that's causing the problem.

One point I cant follow on your initial post is you say: 'I have a Panasonic th50phd30 into which I had a ntldigibox connected via csy2100 rgb to component converter direct into plasma and a Dvd connected direct via component into Plasma' - I take it that at some point you had two sets of YUV cables that you were swapping around as and when you wanted to watch the DVD or the Digibox?

I wonder if inserting the Yamaha one cable at a time into your system will narrow down if its simply not compatible with the YUV converter you have - route the YUV from the converter directly to the plasma on all three cables (which you say works fine) and then one cable at a time route the Y, U, V via the amp and see when it stops working.

Best regards

Joe

7. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure this will take us any further forward, but...

I have a very similar setup:
    NTL (RGB) -> JS RGB to YUV -> Yam RD630
    DVD (YUV) -> Yam RD630

Yam RD630 -> plasma component inputs

This works fine and switches between inputs with no problems.

When you allocated the inputs (although the 2 component inputs are defaulted to DVD and CBLTV, so I don't know why you would want to change them), you didn't allocate the two inputs to a single source, did you? (e.g. both to DVD?). This would explain why you only get the DVD picture.

If you disconnect the DVD inputs and connect the NTL output to them, what picture do you get?

8. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies Guys,
    Joe, I was disconnecting the leads at the converter end not the plasma as I wasn`t using it much for dvd but got fed up hence using the amp as switcher.I will try what you suggest i.e. one cable at a time and see what happens.
    Gileso, I am happy to heer that you can view Ntl through the amp, if I end up buying a different converter then at least it is a solution,
    Interesting that you state the defaults as dvd and cbltv because mine weren`t, the dvd input was cbltv and the cbltv was ---- ?strange! If I disconnect the dvd inputs and insert ntl I get no picture at all, sometimes it states "no signal" other times I just get a blank screen. Thanks for the suggestions Guys I`m off to do some cable switching , deep joy:zonked:

9. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I have taken the cables out one by one from the converter and routed them through the amp.The only one working seems to be the blue,I still get picture with this connected but it is a very strange colour.Neither the red or the green work through the amp.
    Unfortunately I don`t know what to do with this information or what it indicates.I will send an email to Yamaha to see if they can help but suspect that I will be looking to purchase a js converter, assuming this will work.
    Anyone any other ideas??

10. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lab,

I tried this setup with the same convertor as you have and get exactly the same results. My setup is

NTL STB (Pace 4000)
    TH42PWD5B
    RX-V630RDS

personally I'm not too worried as my JS rgb-yuv converter is due to arrive tomorrow, but I "borrowed" a csy to try it out and fill the interim TV watching period.

Anyhow, it doesn't appear to be an isolated problem with your kit. As soon as the JS convertor turns up, I'll report on how it works with the setup.

11. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason
    Many thanks for your efforts, I can stop panicking now that my amp will have to be returned for repair, no sound at all without it :eek: I`ll keep my fingers crossed that the js converter works,let me know. Cheers Jason:)

12. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the JS RGB - YUV box arrived today. Plugged it in via the amp and it works like a dream. The picture is stunning, and switching via the amp doesn't affect it at all.

I've noticed that reds seem very rich on some channels, although since it's only a few channels affected by it I'm assuming that that's the source signal and not the convertor.

The conversion quality is excellent, stunning in fact, and the build quality exceptional.

13. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great news Jason, thanks for that, can I just ask if your taking the audio separately to your amp or is it going through the converter and then into amp and any sign of lip synch issues with the converter?
    Cheers

14. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lab -

Seems Jason may have the answer to your problem

I'm running the audio from the RGB->YUV convertor (new NTL box with no seperate audio out - couldn't be bothered with scart break-out).

Currently watching Magnolia on BBC2 via NTL with no lipsync delay - picture is excellent as well. There can be lipsync problems on various channels - esp. Sky One, E4 and Paramount, but this may be to do with the quality of the feed. It various from time to time, day to day and channel to channel.

The big test is the wife. There's only been one occasion (so far) where it was so apparent that it caused verbal dissatisfaction.

Because its so variable, but usually unnoticeable, I'm going to let is pass for now...

15. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gileso
    yup certainly looks as if I need js converter, I would have bought it in first place but this csy came up second hand on the forum so gave it a try.
    I am running audio straight from Ntl box into amp and I am concerned about introducing a lipsynch problem which I don`t currently seem to have at all but I have witnessed it elsewhere and find it unbearable. I would have thought I would be more likely to encounter it the way I will be connected rather than the way you have it as presumably the converter, IF it added a slight delay would presumably add it to the audio as well. Unfortunately my scart is rgb only so no other option without a new purchase.
    Oh well,guess there is only one way to find out, js , order on it`s way:)

16. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lab,

with the STB you've gto from NTL, the phono's from the rear are not true stereo, they're split mono so you'll get much better sound quality using the audio outs from the JS box.

I can't say I've noticed any lip sync problems as yet, although I've purposely set the delay for the centre to 0 to minimise any effect, and like you've said the JS box probably adds equal delay if there is any.

17. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks once again Jason, are you sure about the audio out on the stb? I get full surround effects using pl2 with different sounds from each speaker,can the amp really achieve that from mono sound?

18. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only go on the info I've picked up from other posts (and from the NTL Hell forums). I have the 4000 model, so have no phono's out the back.

If it works for you it may be that they've 2 versions of STB out, although once you get the JS box, you can try out both connections and see if ther is a difference.