1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Switching Advice (Yamaha Receiver)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by turbo, Apr 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. turbo

turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a Yamaha Rx-v650 or Rx-v640 receiver for my home cinema set up as my current receiver doesn't allow me to use the receiver to switch between different video sources. Does anybody know if it is possible to use the unit to switch between RGB component signals (one from the DVD, one from the Freeview tuner)? I'm intending to cut a standard SCART lead in half and put plugs on the R G B composite and L/R audio leads and plug these into the receiver. My projector (Epson TW10H) accepts S-video, composite and either RGB or component inputs (through the same three sockets) so I was intending to run 4 video cables to the projector to get away from the 5m SCART and adapter I've got at the moment.

Also, if I upgrade my DVD player to one which has proper component outs (not RGB), will I still be able to use the receiver to switch between an RGB signal from my tuner and a component signal from my DVD. From what I can gather, if the receiver acts as a simple switch connecting all relevant DVD/tuner inputs to the output when the source is changed I should be OK (as I'll need all three components plus the yellow composite/sync connected simultaneously for RGB). I'd be very grateful for any help because I'm struggling to get any sensible answers elsewhere!

2. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that you can't feed RGB into a Yamaha, only YCrCb component. One issue is the placement of sync, which is different on SCART RGB compared with YCrCb component. Secondly, there is no RGB/YCrCb conversion in the Yamaha, so, even if you could, you'd get RGB out for the RGB inputs, and YCrCb out for the YCrCb inputs - can your display cope with either automatically? Thirdly, the receiver injects its on-screen graphics into the video link, which would look decidedly odd with a different colour matrix (though they might still be readable).
    I think it's bizarre that so much kit outputs RGB, and so few receivers can accept it.
    Anyway, that's my reading of the situation. I'm looking to upgrade my RGB DVD player to a HDD DVDR with YCrCb outputs, use the VCR only for viewing existing tapes, and make do with S-Video for the Freeview box.

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477