1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Switchers

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Shakey_Jake33, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm slowly moving from Scart to Component, mainly because I wish to make use of Progressive Scan.

With that in mind, I need some kind of switcher to switch between multiple devices.

I was looking at this http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-n-70-3cb.html
    It looks pretty cool, and no extra plug required... but I don't think 3 sockets will be enough.

Does anyone know of one that accepts at least 5 (maybe even more)? Preferably without a plug required as I'm short of spare sockets, but I'll use a plug if I have to. Doesn't really need to be fancy, just need to work, with no real quality loss, and HD etc.

Thanks!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Shakey Jake33

You do have a way with words - 'Doesn't really need to be fancy, just need to work, with no real quality loss, and HD etc.'

Now I wonder why hardware manufacturers haven't thought of that one and produced a Ten way, passive, wide-bandwidth, HD compliant, loss-less video switcher that retails for sub £50.00 :)

The closest you will get to your specification is powered, has four YUV+ Digital or Analogue Audio Inputs; has IR control and can be cascaded if you require multiple chassis to accommodate more than four sources; though it costs just over £200.00 per chassis.

See http://www.zektor.com/hds4/index.html

Best regards

Joe

3. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    rdhir

The JS Technology switcher is very good in terms of what its designed to do - though not ideal if you want to switch five or more YUV signals :)

The AA Products are well supported in the US but seeing as they are not CE approved there is no UK sales or distribution channel.

Best regards

Joe

5. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yup, sorry I wasn't very clear I really meant to say I had not found any consumer level things which could switch 5 sources. There seem to be a few professional things which do more, but four seems the limit otherwise.

Cheers

Rajiv

6. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links!

All very pricey mind, though worth it I'm sure. Y'know, it's suprising there's not more of these things, I assumed Component was pretty much the US equivelent of Scart, and there's plenty of Scart switchers.

Has anyone tried the Joytech AV Center 1 and 2? The US version has Component connectors instead of Scart ones I hear.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello both

rdhir - as you say pretty rare to find a Consumer Switcher with more than Four YUV Inputs - though again keep in mind you can cascade multiple Zektor HDS4 units to achieve multiples of four inputs.

Shakey_Jake33 - when your looking to Input, Switch and pass HD along with SD signals you have to ensure the switcher is clean enough and has enough bandwidth to handle the HD signals.

The Joytech kit gets a lot of good write ups where folk have SD signals and smallish Displays; though not so hot with SD on a larger Display and possibly not the ideal solution for your HD sources.

Best regards

Joe

8. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right. I was going to get the cheap one, but when you put it that way, I think I'll wait till I'm paid and pay that bit more!

Would the JS one suffice? The price of the AA one really does seem sky-high just to avoid having to unplug cables.

9. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The AA one is more expensive because it switches Component, audio analogue and digital analogue and converts digital optical and digital electrical (coax) in both directions meaning you plug a mess of digital optical and electrical in and it works. Thats what I needed so I spend the extra.

If you just need video I'd go JS

What you actually switching?

Cheers

Rajiv

10. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite simply, just XBox/GC/PS2. Thing is, HD will be required for XBox, and moreso when I get a 360. The future purchase of a 360 was why I wanted more than 3 sockets really, as my 360 won't be able to replace my XBox as my XBox is modded and I use a lot of homebrew.

11. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's what I'm switching. The sad part is that you can't get digital out from a Gamecube. I got a component cable from Lik-Sang (Japanese import but works fine on UK GC). I have component out/digital optical from the PS2 and then my DVD goes this way as well. Again the DVD is component/digital electrical. Hence I simplified my life by feeding the optical and digital into the switch and just taking electrical out. I did actually have enough audio inputs to not need the switch but it made things a bit easier and I know its HD compatible. I'd expect the JS to have the bandwidth too.

I keep wanting to mod my N64 to output RGB but it requires special screwdrivers and soldering, so not yet - more important fish to fry.

Anyway its all relative upgrading my amp to component switching is fabulously expensive, assuming they still do it, so the switch was cheap, and I also had some spare dollars as I used to live in the US so...

Cheers

Rajiv

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have tried a few of these things now and YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Unfortunately most (re all in my experrience) of the good value switcher effect the signal they are switching, in fact some are REALLY bad. Look to the bandwidth of you video signal, multiple by 5 min and look for a switcher that can acomplish this feat. Zektor are likely to be close to the be near the top of the pile for bang for the buck IMHO.

Buyer beware ;)

13. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Shakey_Jake33

The JVC is a 3:1 YUV + Stereo audio switcher with no IR or RS232 control - front panel switching only.

So lower cost than many other products but less inputs, no digital audio switching, no Digital Audio conversion, no auto source select, no IR control and no UK support.

I note too that the bandwidth figures quoted for the JVC don't give you any indication about what signal drop to expect at 30Mhz.

Here are the figures as quoted by Zektor:
    Video
    Bandwidth @ -0.1db - 37Mhz, passive and buffered outputs
    Bandwidth @ -3db - Greater than 100mhz, all channels
    Resolution: 480p - 1080p, All HDTV modes

Best regards

Joe

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    HD needs increased bandwidth, my 5x (3-5x will do for all bar the anally retentive) is for the –3dB figures, however the performance of the first 10Mhz is the most critical on performance. None of which you can really tell from specs on their own. I have not tried the JVC but it doesn't look much different from other passive designs. Passive being the operative bit, it is just a switch in a box. It will be inherently limited in dealing with high frequency signals by it's very nature of operation. I would think it is ‘okay' for lower bandwidth signal but I am not sure I would look at it for anything above 480i / 576i. But that just me ;)

16. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I bought a Zektor and have to say it's been excellent, well worth the money in my opinion (not tried any of the others, but it was better than my amp), and both Joe and Zektor were very helpful when I had a problem.

Slingshot.