Component Switcher ?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by loziv, Dec 26, 2006.

1. loziv

loziv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just got a 360 recently, and it uses a component connection as does my exisiting home cinema player.

So at present if I want to play the 360 and watch a dvd, i have to unplug the 360's component and plug in the home cinema and vice versa.

Is there a switcher device out there that will allow both component connections to be connected to my LCD a the same time ?

2. jms_uk

jms_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Yup, there's plenty of them out there now.. it used to be that these switchers were quite thin on the ground (and relatively expensive for what you got but now..) :)

Sooooooooo... onto the sledgehammer to crack a walnut answer...

..You probably need to have a bit of a think about what you need it all to do first off as there's a chance you might want the switcher to do a bit more than just switch two component sources you currently have in the long run..

1) How many component based sources do you think you'll need overall. Do you want/need to future proof by getting something with more inputs than you currently have gear for (buying that WII for example?)

2) Do you want to be able to switch audio (digital audio?) as well?

3) Do you want/prefer remote control etc.

The reason I'm asking is because there are quite a few solutions out there depending on your wallet and your requirements. :)

I'm using the Joytech 540c A/V Control centre (about £75) without any problems for switching XBox360, PS2 etc. but I've read that some people have been having problems. Joytech also do another a/v switcher, just have a search around these forums for either device and you're bound to turn up a wealth of info as well as recommendations for stuff by other vendors

3. arcam007

arcam007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  4. damondill

damondill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been playing about with the 540c today and found the AV Interconnect Cable connecting the Control Center to the 360 gives a really poor picture.

Plugging the 360 directly to the Control Center with the official 360 Component cable gives you a much better picture - comparable to a direct connection to my Panny PV500 :thumbsup:

I had to make sure the CH1 OUT setting on the Control Center was set to "YUV" instead of "S-V" to enable a component output for that channel. I believe this CH1 OUT setting has to be set for each channel on the 540c which may solve some of the dropout issues people are reporting with the Wii's - instructions on how to do this is on page 6 of the manual :lesson:

So now I'm not using the interconnect cable into input 1 this Control Center will give me 4 Component inputs which I'm using for the following:

Xbox 360 specific Input 1 - Not going to be used due to poor picture quality
    Input 2 - NTSC GameCube running in component
    Input 3 - Panny DVD Recorder running in component
    Input 4 - Xbox 360 running in component
    Input 5 - Free! Will prob use this for a Wii in the future!
    Output - Component Cable - some £15 high quality component cable, not sure what the brand is so I may need to upgrade once comparing pic quality some more!

So at the moment I am pretty happy with the 540c, it's just a shame that with the Control Center being branded as the ultimate accessory for your 360 with a proprietary Xbox 360 input, the picture quality with the supplied 360 Interconnect cable and dedicated 540c 360 input is not on par when compared to the 360 connected to your TV or the 540c with the official 360 component lead.