1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Switcher

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by patmyhead, Dec 21, 2003.

1. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I am thinking of getting this HDS4.2 http://www.zektor.com/hds42/index.htm
    any one got one? of have tried it?
    I am going get a rgb scart switch that will take the output from dvd .sky. humax & dvd recorder ,then on to a JSims rgb to component converter (this will allow me to only have to use one JSims converter) then into my amp & on to the Zektor which will output to both plasma & PJ at the same time if required

Will this work ok or to many conections in the line
    P@t

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It might sound mad but when I had my HS10 PJ and my Sony LCD TV I used to split the output from my Denon 3803 amp using 3 simple RCA splitter adapter from Maplins - the gold plated version - and it worked...well IMHO.

Might be worth a try and will only cost a few quid.

Cheers, Lee

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    Pat

I'd probably suggest two JS RGB2YUV converters and daisy chain one pair of your RGB devices and avoid the amp and SCART switch in the signal chain if possible.

So assuming its YUV out already on the DVD you'll have Three YUV signals going to the HDS4.2 - as the HDS4.2 also incorporates Digital and Analogue Audio switching you wont have to do much Audio switching on the AMP either as hopefully you can do most of that downstream on the Zektor too.

Best regards

Joe

4. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for reply Joe
    I have a active four in one out switch that works realy well i cannot see any difference to the picture quality on the plasma ,then on to a active scart spliter again no drop in picture quality
    one output from the spliter gives me rgb on the plasma ,the other goes to the JSIMS component converter that the feeds the PJ
    So I have rgb to plasma yuv to PJ with no unpluging of cables
    I may have missed what you meant about the zector switching the audeo as my Denon av1sr does it realy well + it allows me to access prologic 2. THX etc not to mention the other goodies that this amp provides
    I have programed my marantz 9200rc to with just one button press to switch both video & audio this works well because the scart switch is infer red capable so even her indoors can use it
    P@T

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    Hello Pat

Where possible you want to minimise the number of connections in your video signal path - the only reason I can imagine you'd want to pass the YUV signal through your AV Amp is too add in any screen set up graphics the Amp adds to the YUV signal; otherwise it seems a redundant connection.

If all of your video sources were RGB I would consider the Zektor as a replacement for your current RGB switch? - you can run the Zektor with RGB+C, RGBHV or YUV; obviously with a bit of cable adjustment as the Zektor is all RCA sockets for the video inputs.

(NOTE - I've not had a chance to try the Zektor with YUV and RGB - allowing the destination device to sort out which signal its seeing; though unfortunately most device wont Auto switch between RGB and YUV).

If both the Plasma and the Projector take RGB+C you may not require an RGB2YUV converter and if one unit favours YUV over RGB then your JS RGB2YUV on one of the Zektor outputs will do the trick.

For many potential Zektor owners the lack of extra YUV inputs goes hand in hand with a lack of extra Digital audio inputs - hence the reason Zektor give you a Digital audio input for each video input; and the Digital audio switching retains whatever surround processing is in the audio stream.

If you want to try the HDS4.2 at some point let me know and you can borrow my dem unit.

Best regards

Joe

PS Please note the HDS4.2 is a video switch not a distribution amp - you select if output 01 or 02 is active; not both at the same time.