Component switch

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by sting£r, Jan 3, 2007.

1. sting£r

sting£r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When i get a Wii, which i also want to use component on, are there any component switches out there which dont degrade the PQ? Im using the LE32R74BD which only has one component input. The other option would be to use 360 through VGA, but general consensus seems to be that component is easier and doesnt require as much tampering to get a quality picture.

2. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
  3. Tyjay

Tyjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,945
  4. sting£r

sting£r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks, the play-asia one is a far more attractive price! However it makes me wonder, if the switch has its own component plugs which go into the TV, surely the quality of these is what gives the picture and not the 20 quid ones you buy for the console?

5. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I currently use a Zektor HDS4.2 for switching component video and digital audio for all my consoles (PS2, Xbox & Xbox 360).

http://www.zektor.com

The picture quality is great with the added benefit that it also switches the audio. In terms of pricing its on the high end of the scale, about £350+, but you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.

Pemberto

6. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    A friend of mine has the Joytech AV Centre and it's awful.

7. Gazra

Gazra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used 2 play asia ones which used on Gamecube,ps2,dvd and xbox because they were indeed cheap.But they are poor qulaity in my experience and one became faulty.U get what u pay for and I ended up importing a nice Audio Authority automatic switch box with no loss quality.Something like the XBOX 360 addon for £75.

8. leungellis

leungellis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  9. mascot

mascot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Yeah, that's exactly the same as the Play-Asia one, but more expensive. For over a year I've used one on my HD 50" Pioneer plasma to switch between DVD and Xbox 360, and there really is no discernable difference in PQ. For the record, it also switches the audio too if you need it.

10. Tyger Cheex

Tyger Cheex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funily enough I want one of these too!

Only because after a bit of digging on here I realised that the VGA cable forces the 360 into 60Hz and as I am in the UK and use the 360 as a Media Centre Extender the fact that UK TV signals are 50Hz I expect it wont do a great job of converting the picture!

Stuttering images etc. :(

Pity really as it would have been handy to have my Wii on component, my 360 on VGA and eventually my PS3 on HDMI! Bah!

11. sting£r

sting£r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why doesnt it display correctly in 60HZ? My gamecube and Ps2 do without any problems:confused: I thought the idea was to display in 720p and 60hz?

12. Tyger Cheex

Tyger Cheex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 360 games, videos, photos etc will all be fine through VGA... the problem is the broardcast signal (that gets extended to the 360 form the PC) is 50Hz. If my 360 is locked to 60Hz by the VGA cable then there is likely to be problems.

I'm sure it was on on the xbox forums that I read people who have 50Hz signals (ie... people in the UK) have had issues with the VGA cable because it locks the output signal of the 360 to 60Hz

They also mentioned that the VGA cable cant display some PAL "back compat" games because they are locked at 50Hz (not all original xbox games have the option to pick 50 or 60Hz).

13. Tyger Cheex

Tyger Cheex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This Looks Interesting but I'm not sure about the length on the "console" side of the cables. Limits the position of your consoles relative to eachother which is a shame!

Wonder how much it will be? I'd part with £25 for something like that!

14. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but are there any switchers that have multiple outputs as well as inputs ?

At present all sound from my various devices go through my amp so audio doesnt need switching but my video source does (ideally). If I want a quick blast on the 360 then the signal goes to my old crt tv, same with a casual DVD etc. For special occasions, film nights, sports etc. I get out my PJ but its a hell of a hassle changing the video imputs around.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.