component 'switch off' ?

loudnproud

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is there any truth in the rumour that sky will 'switch off 'Hd via the component output around Xmas on HD boxes- I only heard this yesterday & think it may upset a few people, however ,as I say it may be a rumour
Many Thanks

I would imagine that until they have a satisfactory solution to the HDMI issues that they wouldn't even begin to think about turning off component output.

Laura said:
I would imagine that until they have a satisfactory solution to the HDMI issues that they wouldn't even begin to think about turning off component output.
Exactly!! I've had display problems with the HDMI connection to my Samsung LE27T51B (which IS HDCP compliant) and so through no choice of my own, have had to switch over to component. Luckily, the HDMI works perfectly with my Panny projector.

I'd like to think that it's just the newer boxes that will stop having component outputs in them rather then the signal being switched off altogether. Can they even do that? Surely, any signal that comes into the box, has to pass through whatever outputs that box has. Or am I being naive and do SKY have total control over these outputs? Surely, stopping a signal that we are paying for on a box we have paid for is a breach of contract anyway? If they do switch it off, maybe we are expected to watch HD material via the Scart output? Let's wait and see how things develop.

;)

It wont be upto sky, its the movie studios who will decide

If the same incoming signal can be split by the Sky box into both component and HDMI how do Sky or the Studios manage to interfere with or disable either output?
Would it be a software instruction to the box ?
If so that would be a breach of the contract with the purchaser.
Can't have sellers of products selectively disabling them whenever they choose.

How the hell did my post appear under the name of rbentley? See above for my post!!!:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Gae

Gae said:
How the hell did my post appear under the name of rbentley? See above for my post!!!:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Gae

Maybe you have two accounts or you've had someone else on your comp thats a member of the AVFORMS post on your comp?

Maybe you have two accounts or you've had someone else on your comp thats a member of the AVFORMS post on your comp?

Nope! I think someone's just copied my reply on the duplicate post and pasted it here. :nono:

Gae

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom