• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Component splitters - Which to go for?

rimibar

Established Member
I've just got a new LCD TV which, sadly, only has one component-in. Now I know it's a digital age etc etc, but as I have a component DVD player, XBOX 360 and Wii that are all vying for a connection, I could do with a decent splitter solution.

I've looked around this forum, but nothing comes up recently, and I want to make sure I'm choosing a modern option.

As mentioned above I'm looking to connect the 360, Wii and DVD player.

What are my options and what sort of budget should I be saving for?!

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
You actually need a component switch not a splitter.

1 input multiple outputs is a splitter, multiple inputs 1 output is a switch.

If you don't get any direct advice here 'Google' for 'component switch' and you'll get plenty of hits.

rimibar

Established Member
Thanks for that - at leadt now I know what I'm hunting for! :oops:

OK, so a component SWITCH it is!

I have Googled this, and once again a million choices which all look a bit cheap and plasticky. Does anyone on the forums have any recommendations?

Thanks again

brave01heart

Established Member
Hi

I'm also looking for a reasonably priced optical switch which works well and I've just been looking at this one on the Maplin website:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934#checkstore

It appears to be just what I need for my set up but, so far I've not found anyone who has it, so I'd appreciate any user input please.

Regards

Brave01Heart

rimibar

Established Member

davepuma

Distinguished Member
As mentioned above, there are issues with certain component switching units and the wii which date back to when the wii launched. When I set up a wii at a place I worked at, I needed a component switch for wii, DVD, PS2, Xbox360 etc. and bought a Zektor unit which was sourced from tmfsolutions. It worked but it was expensive.

The best solution is an AV receiver! Why don't you look at a cheap receiver and speakers and upgrade your sound at the same time? ;)

rimibar

Established Member
An update on the possibilities:

JS Tech offer this lovely switch, but it only accepts 2 inputs, and I need 3, I'm told that I can cascade them - but at £55 x 2 - it's fairly pricey - although nothing compared to the last suggestion!!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

rimibar - a 'clean' YUV switch is not easy to find. A lot of the low cost units are great with SD on a relatively small display but not so great with HD to a larger Display.

Brave01Heart - low cost Optical switch gear is mostly junk; if your lucky you'll find one that works. Would an HDMI + Optical switch work for you?

Decent switch gear is relatively costly:

YUV + Stereo/Coaxial/Optical - The Media Factory

Optical - Audio Authority® - Product Details: 1177A

HDMI + Optical - Media Factory - Connect, Control and Install your Audio Visual equipment!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom