1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component splitter

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by thfccambs, Nov 2, 2004.

1. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    Am looking to run my x-box into my plasma by component(hi-def tv).Already have my 575 dvd player on component at the moment.Would a component splitter lose any quality in the picture?Anyone got a links to a good component splitter?
    cheers

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    So no one uses a componet swicher then?

3. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    i think most people use there amp where its got 1 component in and 2 or 3 out...... me i just use my feet and hands and change the cables when needed

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
  5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    Cheers lyris,at that prtice i would be better off buying another component board for my PW7.

6. Pikman

Pikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hunts, I may have some RCA Y splitters for sale soon. They're audiophile quality and machined from a solid block of metal to keep signal loss to a minimum.

I got them from America but am looking to buy a surround processor with multiple component inputs - hence the sale. I'll try and find a link so you can have a look at them or even orde rthem brand new from the website.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    hunts1uk

Its a Component Switcher your after - not a splitter; you'd require a splitter if your were trying to share a single source with two or more displays.

Decent quality Component switchers are few and far between - we import the Zektor range to the UK. These offer you 4:1 and 4:2 switching with IR control for YUV + Stereo or Digital Audio; they are very good though as you say more costly (SRP £240) than a second TY-42TM6AB Input board (SRP £82.25).

See http://www.zektor.com for more info.

The HDS4 and HDS4.2 act like learning remotes - you teach them to react to the IR Input selection of your AV Amp; saves you having to switch input selections on your Amp plus your Display.

Best regards

Joe

8. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for something similar - I need to switch between 3 RCA component inputs. This might be a dumb question but couldn't I just use any other reasonable quality RCA switcher? I might need to use two - say two audio switches - but I guess this would work?

Otherwise, I'd sooner put £240 towards a replacment amp :)

9. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I didn't think there were many amps, especially in that price bracket, that output component, most are S video. I could be wrong though.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    iangilroy

Apart from the obvious limitation of having to start 'selecting' inputs on two or more non IR controlled devices and having ugly looking switches 'on show' there are plenty of technical reasons why your first 'option' may not be an ideal solution for everyone - though if your on a tight budget and don't have a large monitor it may well be viable for you.

Putting your cash towards a decent quality AV Receiver with on-board video switching is viable - though again remember not all switches are created equal; there are plenty of AV Receivers out there that have far from 'clean' video circuitry; the Zektor kit has passive switching to minimise any signal loss.

Lots of acronyms and figures but worth a read if your interested - see http://www.zektor.com/support/componentvideo.htm

Best regards

Joe

11. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe - thanks, that's pretty much what I thought.

I've been thinking about a Denon 2805 or 3805 for a while now - do you happen to have any idea about the video switching quality that they offer? The output would be plugged into a 42" Viera so not degrading the quality is definitely important.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Ian (being presumptuous)

We've supplied/installed plenty of the AVR-3805 without problems - the AVR-2805 I'm not so sure of but that's only because I haven't used it so far.

The Digital Audio Delay, Video signal conversion (Composite and S-Video to YUV for secondary sources) and the semi auto Surround Sound set-up routines of the AVR-3805 are certainly worth a mention too.

Best regards

Joe