1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component signal format - please explain.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peopleIknow, Mar 28, 2001.

1. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have recently purchased the Sanyo PLV-30. When selecting component input you get a list of numbers ( 1080i, 1035i, 720p, 575p, 480p, 575i, & 480i ) as opposed to pal, ntsc etc which you get when selecting s-video or composite.

There is no explanation in the manual, so can anybody explain:-

A/ What they mean.
    B/ Why the difference, is the TV system (pal / ntsc) irrelevant with component inputs.
    C/ What I should set the projector on.

Note, if it helps I am using a Pioneer 414 DVD (US model) with component output.

Thanks

2. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a quick recap before getting into detail,

PAL & NTSC actually refer to the way the colour info is encoded on a composite or s-video signal and doesn't really refer to the number of lines in the picture although the implication of 50Hz and 60Hz stuff is always there, so we use other terminology when refering to component (where we don't have the colour encoding to worry about).

In 'normal' TV we tend to talk about the total number of scan lines (not just the ones that actually have picture info) and so you might see 525/60 (i.e. 525 lines at 60Hz) and 625/50 (625 lines at 50Hz). because there is the assumption that these are TV standards, then we also imply that they are interlaced and basically the component version of standard definition TV signals (SDTV)

In the PC world, there are no standards (well, not widely used anyway) for how many non-active lines are sent with any given output, so, to play safe we only quote the actual pixels and lines that have picture info on them (active). Therefore for a pc output at, say 1280x1024, there will be 1280 active pixels and 1024 active scan lines and an un-specified number of lines for the blanking or fly-back period (this lack of specification is what makes projector manufacturers have problems with compatibility) PC's are generally assumed to be progressive scan, so we simply need to specify the active pixels and lines and the frame rate. i.e. 1280x1024 60Hz.

In High Definition TV (HDTV) we can not be sure whether we have interlace or progressive, so we have to be a bit more specific. So we refer to the active number of scan lines with a 'P' for progressive scan and an 'i' for interlace, often the frame/field rate isn't mentioned (because most HDTV is 60Hz at this moment) but when it is, it refers to the field rate of interlace sources, or the frame rate of progressive sources - a 60Hz P source has the same number of frames as a 120Hz i source.

So to give some reference to the rates in the menu;

480i = 'NTSC' source 525/60
    480P = Progressive scan NTSC (i.e. output of US progressive scan DVD or IScan)
    576i = 'PAL' source 625/50
    576P = Progressive scan PAL (i.e. currently output of IScan Pro with PAL source)

720P, 1080i etc.. are all standard US type HD rates.

So for your US DVD player (and I'm assuming it's not a Progressive scan model) set the projector to 480i.

I hope this is of use!

Oasis

[This message has been edited by Oasis (edited 28-03-2001).]

3. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oasis thanks very much for your detailed answer much appreciated. Now onto the next subject.

Reading through various treads there's mention of Progressive scan ?

My understanding/questions are:-

1/ Improvement over interlace, but are we taking a marked improvement, are is it one of these if you study the picture careful you will notice some minor improvement.
    2/ Is my projector (Sanyo PLV-30) up to the job of showing these improvements
    3/ At the moment only available for region 1, why.
    4/ Are there any plans to introduce Progressive scan on Region 2.
    5/ What players are currently available that output Progressive scan

Thanks