Component/Scart Superior to Scart/Scart?

dynamic turtle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Question: Will I get better picture quality from my dvd using a component-to-scart lead as opposed to a scart-to-scart lead (all other things being equal)?

I know I won't be getting component quality images on my tv but will there be an improvement worth £50?

My thinking is that the individual co-axial cables will be better for maintaining image quality over pin connectors in a scart block (at least until it hits the scart block at the other end!).

Thanks,
DT

DVD is encoded in component so its best to keep the signal in component format, does your TV accept component via its scart connector? You cannot connect component to RGB.

The individual larger cables will generally give better results, you may also want to consider an RGB only scart if your system is not fully component compatible.

Andy.

What a coincidence - I was just browsing your website earlier (repeat eBay customer).

I didn't know that component and scart were incompatible. Come to think of it, the comp 2 scart cables on your site don't mention RGB wiring. Is it "downmixed" to composite or s-video quality?

DT

Component just means the signal is split into it's component parts, it does not actually refer to a connector as such. Component can be RGB or YPbPr, or any other variation and carried down any cable with enough wires. When most people say component they mean YPbPr, and 3 seperate cables with RCA (phono) or BNC connectors. On my plasma you can set the component input to accept YPbPr or RGB. Scart can carry RGB (most common) but I have seen it carry YPbPr before with a scart to component 3 RCA cable, both are of course, component :)

I don't think your TV has a YPbPr component input, so even if your DVD player has a component output you can't use it as YPbPr and RGB are incompatible.

Its not actually component (YUV/YPbPr/YCbCr) and scart that are not compatible it is component and RGB that are not compatible. The Profigold PGV37x series of leads allow you to connect a component compatible scart to three phonos or vice versa etc.

Andy.

Forgot to answer the question on cable wiring, the comp to scart leads are wired using the RGB pins of the scart as these are the same pins used for component.

Although they are wired using the RGB pins they are only suitable for RGB3 (RGsB) where sync is used on the green signal and this mode is not common. Most consumer electronics uses RGB4 (RGBS) where the sync is connected on the composite video pin of the scart, or there are 4 phonos. There are other cables available for RGB4 such as the Profigold PGV7405 and PGV7410 which are 4 phono to scart leads. There is also another variant of RGB with two sync signals, RGB5 or RGBHV.

Andy.

Originally posted by TVCables
Its not actually component (YUV/YPbPr/YCbCr) and scart that are not compatible it is component and RGB that are not compatible.

Isn't that what I just said? (as long as you are assuming that component means YPbPr as most people do) :D

dynamic turtle

The short answer is NO not in your set up as your TV doesn't have YUV Component inputs so stick with RGB (Component) via SCART.

What your not seeing via RGB is the ability of the DVD player to output a Progressive YUV signal.

If you want to see picture improvements you may want to consider a higher quality SCART cable for your primary source or sources.

Also how do you get all those signals into the TV? - there must be a switcher in there I guess.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks for all the replies; you've thoroughly explained the situation!

Yes Joe, I have two scart switchboxes (10 slots in total) to handle all the equipment! Almost out of space now :laugh:

DT

Techwell Inc seem to have confused YCrCb and YPrPb. :nono:
This is an exerpt from syncblaster.com:
"There is some confusion over the exact meaning of YCrCb and YPrPb. This seems to have come about because one school of thought (English) refers to YCrCb as an analogue signal and YPrPb as its digital equivalent. Another school of thought (This time American) suggests that YCrCb is interlaced and YPrPb is progressive. (As we are a British company we favour the British version!). :clown:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom