1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component RGB to VGA?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Evil Ed, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Do I need a clever convertor of some sort if I want to go from component RGB (YUV) from my DVD player to my plasma's VGA port (Panasonic TH42PWD6)?

I was told by www.hificables.co.uk that I would be better off buying the component board for my plasma, and that the VGA input will not accept a component RGB (YUV) signal - AV Sales, on the other hand, told me that they could supply me with a cable which will connect my plasma to my DVD player, with component RGB (YUV) at one end and VGA at the other.

More specifically, www.hificables.co.uk claim that VGA is RGB HV and will not understand a YUV signal fullstop.

Can anyone help me?? Who's right?

-Ed

2. ghosty

ghosty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Ed,

i dont have all the answers to your questions here, so apologies in advance, but i will try and tell u what i know.

at the moment i am connecting my pwd6 to my dvd player (arcam) via a component (3 phono) to vga cable. this cable was custom made up for me by the friendly folks at creative-audio.co.uk (for a very reasonable price). i was told that the cable was basically a vga cable which is cut in half and 3 phono connectors put on one end for the component connection.

i am not very technical so i dont know exactly what signal goes thru the cable. but what i can say is that the picture quality is stunning, and it works too without having to spend an extra £100 or so for a component board. so that kept me happy.

hope that helped,
    g

3. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much ghosty

Yes that has helped, it sounds like the cable you're using is exactly what AV-Sales are suggesting, and I'd much rather do it like that... still leaves me wondering what hificables.co.uk were on about?? Hopefully they're wrong...

-Ed

4. Nick

Nick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ed - I have just bought a Panny 6 and have been told exactly the same conflicting advice about Component to VGA as it would also be my preffered connection as I assume if possible, it would still allow progressive scan?
    I am concerned as I cannot find a cable that offers this off the shelf. Can anyone else confirm??

5. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you use up the VGA socket connecting your DVD player what will you then use to connect your Sky Box or freeview and aren't you extremely limited by the thickness of any cables that will fit a VGA plug. Surely the best way is to buy a component board for the DVD and connect the tuner using a JS Labs RGB to VGA converter as the Scart Board is supposed to produce a soft picture. That way you get the best connection on all sources and only need one board. I assume you must have already purchased the scart board or got it free?

6. Nick

Nick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. You guessed right, I indeed have the free Scart board and was planning on connecting the Sky through this and the DVD to the VGA input if it were possible as these are the only 2 items I will be connecting.
    My only real rationale was firstly being a cheapskate and not wanted to buy the JS Labs Box but also the fact that I would like to retain aspect ratio switching for Sky but only watch widescreen DVDs where this is not an issue.

7. Orgasmic Chilli

Orgasmic Chilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be a good for me too. Because I'm looking for a way to play my xbox in HD mode and have no component input

8. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased my PW6, and have only just had it set up. I am running sky digital into a JS RGB to VGA converter box via scart, and out of the JS box to the Plasma via a VGA to VGA cable (Van Damme 6 metre, specialy made up).

My 575 DVD player is connected into the Plasma directly via component to enable progressive scan. This is via a 3 RCA to 3 BNC lead (YuV) -again 6 metre Van Damme, into the BNC Component board.

I aslo got the scart card "free" and I have to say in th every limited time I have looked at the screen, a direct comparison between sky digital going in directly to the Panny scart board compared to going in via the JS RGB to VGA converter is substantial.

The JS box removes any diagonal lines and jagged edges from the pic. Worth the money in my book. (Just my (very limited) opinion)!.

One thing i would say however, is that I appear to be suffering from lip sync delay - the audio via my digital amp (Sony STB1080) is slightly ahead of the Plasma's picture.

This is not as noticable via DVD, but is definatley there - and I can't find how to delay the sound on my amp - I'd be VERY interested to see if anyone else has this problem.

Could it be the JS box delaying the signal by converting it, or is it just the delay in the PLasma's processer?! - Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Anyway - hope that helps!

J

9. BruZZi

BruZZi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to confirm...

The VGA input on TH42PWD6 accepts Component Signals.

10. Orgasmic Chilli

Orgasmic Chilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    J - the delay is caused by the video processing going on in the plasma. This is normal on all plasmas on all sources, however Sky is also inherently out of sync to different degrees depending which channel you are on!!! To make matters worse the 1080 does not have an AV Sync Delay function, however you may be able to lessen the effect somewhat by heavily adjusting the centre speaker delay to over compensate...

Orgasmic Chilli - that would work if you wanted to convert a progressive YUV signal into VGA. However the Panasonic plasma's VGA socket accept VGA resolutions AND component video resolutions so this box is not required.

12. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, thanks Liam, that explains it - I must admit that if this "the norm" then the sync problem is definatley gonna annoy the hell out of me.

I have now connecdted the audio from the rgb in on the JS box out of the JS box to the amp, instead of directly from the sky box to the amp, to see if that helps to "delay" the audio signal.

We'll see...!

13. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bruzzi, is there any loss of quality when using a component RGB to VGA lead? Would it be better to shell out for the component RGB board?

Thanks

-Ed

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The internal processing and physical cable used is exactly the same either way. If you were to be really pedantic (and I mean heavily anal here) you could argue that with the pins being close together on a d-sub there may be some unwanted interference that might possibly slightly think about maybe affecting PQ. TBH it's as good as an un-noticeable difference in all but the highest end systems. Especially when you think that phonos are disadvantaged because they become loose and are only 50ohm!!

15. stephinson

stephinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I hope this is the right thread

I have seen an offer at richersounds for a panasonic TH42PWD6BX
    reading though the forum I think
    the b stands for english
    and the x means it has not got a component board or is it composite board
    I cant get my head round all the jargon :ie js box
    What I would like to know is what could I connect to it
    I would like to connect my tivo (like sky plus)
    and my computer (monitor or svhs)
    ? How much extra money is it going to cost

Ps is the Daewoo DP42 really crap and could it do what I would like :lease:

please be kind I`m new to this

16. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Stephinson, Your question isn't really linked to this thread, should really be a new thread but here are some of the answers. Not sure exactly what the model numbers refer too but they will all be UK models and have nothing to do with what boards are included. As standard panasonic will not provide any boards with this type of plasma as the idea is you only buy the ones you need. The panasonic comes with three slots so you can add a scart connection, composite, component, S VHS, DVI and possibly others. The scart board is supposed to produce a soft picture so instead of using this it is recommended you use a scart lead from your Tivo (great invention) into the JS Labs convertor which converts the scart signal into a VGA signal. You then use a VGA lead from the JS Labs convertor into your plasma giving an excellent picture. I assume you also have a DVD player. If it has a component output (thats 3 phono sockets marked YUV) then you may also want to buy a component board to connect the DVD player. If it only has a scart output then you would feed this into the JS Labs convertor (you would also need to buy a quintro which would allow you to plug two scart sources into the JS Labs). Not sure about the PC connection but I know you can definately connect it up. I think it's through the VGA lead but i think you need a piece of software, power something. Or you can buy an S VHS board and connect it through that. Other people will know more. Never heard much about the Daewoo but everybody loves the panasonic on here. JS Labs Convertor is only £120 + £15 for a cheap VGA Lead (better leads which I would recommend are from £50). A scart board itself is over a £100 so you will only be paying £25 more for a much imporved picture. Don't buy the cheapest plasma and then regret it. Spend a bit more on the panny and get one you'll love.

17. stephinson

stephinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much it clears up the jargon
    I think I will wait for a pany maybe a pw7

18. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Why wait? get yourself a nice panny plasma now there are some good deals on the 6's and the 7's are in stock in some places!

Phil

19. stephinson

stephinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are av sales good and is this forum run by them
    I have been looking at the pw6 but I`m a bit worried about warranty because I live in the north and they are in london?

20. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Av sales are top notch I live not too far from them got my plasma from them they are a Very good outfit.Give Hayes a call.They Do not run this forum!

Phil