Component RGB to SVHS, DVI?

littlerobotman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi got my Wii a couple of days ago and trying to feed my projector with a better signal than composite video. I've bought a component RGB lead but need to then convert this to either SVHS, VGA or DVI.

While converting to DVI would yield the best quality signal (I believe), for reasons of convinience I would prefer to connect SVHS - unless a switch that allows me to choose between two DVI sources isn't preclusively expensive?

Also whilst pursuing my magic component RGB to happiness box/cable I was told by the guild of wisemen at the shop that component RGB is a progressive signal and 'couldn't' be converted to SVHS. I understood this to mean 'be easily' converted from a progressive signal to a video (interlaced) one.
I imagined that a 'box' of some kind could perform this conversion but they didn't have one. I'm also dealing with a 3m run of cable upto the projector and hope that as well as converting to SVHS it could give the signal a little boost too... a man can dream can't he.

BUT, then looking on eBay I found the following two seeming solutions, the first of which appears to perform the forbidden straight RGB Component to SVHS - can someone who understands the world of AV tell me if this is this a nonsense?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Pin-SVideo-...ryZ31531QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And for the DVI this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DVI-I-To-3-RC...0QQihZ008QQcategoryZ41993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These seem to good to be true and also looking at the URL's to belong to specific bits of kit. Can anyone give me a more definitive answer as to whether these would work, and if not, what/where I should be looking.
Composite is not ruining the Wii experience for me but the web of cables across my living room coupled with my arm flailing antics surely will before long.

I was also told by a console shop that there is a Nintendo Wii to SVHS but I that this only works with the NTSC Wii and not Pal. Anyone know any different?

Thanks.

LRM

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Your projector will probably take component via the VGA (HD-15) socket, I know mine does. It should say in the manual and if it does you can pickup a vga to component lead on eBay.

Neither of the above will work because as you say, they are for specific kit which will use non standard outputs.

Svhs (S-Video) is barely better than composite sometimes, a good convertor is 60-80 quid - not worth it for a Wii.

http://www.letsautomate.com/10893.cfm

I would be suprised if there is no S-video lead for the Wii though, my Xbox has S-video.

Did you buy a RGB Scart lead or a Component Video lead (progressive) ?

Thanks for the reply Magsy.

The lead describes itself as a Component (Y, Pr, Pb) connection - I am a little confused as to the difference between this and an RGB Scart lead.

Sods law, but when I was installing the projector I left the HD-15 out of the cable run figuring I would connect via DVI for HCPC/digital sources. I wouldn't have done so other than restricted cavity space in one part of the cable run :-(.

You're right that the RGB to SVHS is a little bit expensive - I'm wondering whether I should/could get a new graphics card to install in my HCPC and patch it to the projector via that? Not ideal but perhaps an option...

Thanks again for your help.

LRM

Component converted to S video is NOT going to give you much improvement over composite. A standard S video connection isn't a huge leap over composite so this conversion is not the way to go.

The lead describes itself as a Component (Y, Pr, Pb) connection - I am a little confused as to the difference between this and an RGB Scart lead.
Well Component is 3 phono cables and RGB Scart is a scart cable, that is the major difference.

Also, there wont ever be an s-video lead for the PAL Wii as it doesnt have s-video output, only composite/RGB Scart/component however the US and JPN Wii do support s-video.

Thanks Guys,

Of course this is a perfect opportunity to buy a HD projector except that microBoss would de-testiculate me. Apparently I always start with one new piece of kit and use it as a gateway to acquiring x number of other essentials :rolleyes:

If I used a non-UK Wii would I run into problems with region restrictions on games or other issues?

It's looking like I'll either have to sort the HD-15, find a way of piping it into the HCPC (which looks expensive) or suffer composite. Still I've learnt a bit more about signal formats - 'Super' VHS my shiny metal ass...

LRM

Thanks Guys,

If I used a non-UK Wii would I run into problems with region restrictions on games or other issues?

/QUOTE]

Between Nintendo Accessories: No.
Between Nintendo games: Yes (you got your standard 3 region lockout)

games bought from japan cannot be played on a UK bought wii and vice versa

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom