Component/RGB switching ....two outta three ain't bad!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by peskywinnets, Aug 7, 2006.

1. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've been shopping around for a *budget*, hifi-centric, quality AV amp....there are *very* few options.

Of those quality budget AV amps that do exist, most only have two component video inputs - fine if you've only got two sources, or you're happy with a complicated channel/source changing routine (eg to watch Sky, use AV1 on TV & sat input on amp, but to watch DVD use Scart 2 on TV & DVD on amp - two switches each time - not very wife friendly).

I've been seeking the holy grail of high quality TV viewing !

For me, this is a simple (wife friendly), high quality (HD video & sound) switching amp, yet also cheapish solution (sub £500 until HDMI V1.3 arrives)...with at least three HD compatible composite (or RGB inputs).

I can find an amp that meets nearly all of my criteria, but it only has two HD compatible component video inputs (a NAD)...so that got me thinking as to how I could keep the switching via the amp (simple), but also have three high quality component/RGB sources switched to the TV. I think I've cracked it (however your AV amp must be capable of configuring the 12V trigger by input source), here goes.....

AV Amp

Component 1 input - DVD Player
    Component 2 input - Satellite Receiver (or some other 'non Sky' component source)

Audio from each goes to the Amp's related digital/analogue inputs

AV amp 'component video output' goes to the TV's component input..

Sky box - RGB Video direct to the TV RGB Scart, audio direct to AV amp. Ok, now configure the AV amp to send a '12V trigger' to the TV *only* when this input source is selected. Run a Trigger cable from the AV amp into the same sky scart connector (switching pin) being used at the TV for Sky RGB.

Bingo, now all video/audio switching (for three sources) is done via the AV amp!

select DVD on amp - component video from DVD is sent to the TV (component input)

select SAT on , component video from Satellite box is sent to TV (component input)

Select Sky AUDIO input on amp, a 12V trigger is sent to the Scart connected from SKY box into the TV...TV auto switches to Sky RGB scart.

....the other bonus is that you don't have to buy a an RGB to component converter....just feed the Sky RGB signal direct from the sky box into the TV & let the amp switch the TV to this scart via it's 12V trigger output.

Anyway, thought this info might be useful to some (I've not seen such a solution mentioned)

2. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    I may have linked this for you before but this amp will do everything you want for 500 quid. Apologies if I'm repeating myself but take a look at this.

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/ONKYO-TX-SR674E-99-.htm

3 component inputs, 2 hdmi inputs, hdmi upconversion. If it's essential to make it easy to switch between inputs, get yourself a harmony 525 remote for 45 quid and you have your ideal system.

If you don't want/need hdmi upconversion, you can get the onkyo 604 for 400 quid which comes in well under budget even with the harmony remote.

I got the harmony and my wife loves it. One remote for the lot and once it's set up it's a doddle to use.:smashin:

3. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for the heads up!

I had actually considered that amp, but passed over it for the following reasons...

1. To my eyes it's butt ugly! :eek:
    2. It is about £180 more than the solution I had in mind. :thumbsdow
    3. *******EDITED 11 Aug 2006 23.20hrs - My Third comment here removed, at Forum Owner's request ******************

Thanks once again...I'm sure it'll be fine for others, but not me!

4. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    That's where i'd seen your username before.:suicide:. I also agree that Onkyo amps aren't exactly pleasing to the eye. :rolleyes: