Component RGB question, please help me!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richimlong, Apr 24, 2007.

1. richimlong

richimlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

I have a specific question with regards RGB that I was hoping somebody might be able to help me with. :)

Basically I wanted to know if there was any way to connect my DVD player (Arcam dv89) to my (old) RGB scart enabled TV using individual RGB component leads (I don't mean YUV component as Im fairly sure this won't work...). I understand that in theory I would need RGB cables and also another sync data cable, and further to this I bought the following:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=47318&doy=23m4

...as an component RGB to scart adaptor.

However, I cannot get it to work at all! The actual reason I'm doing this is as a proof of concept because ultimately I want to send all video signals through my amp, and output one set of RGB component cables to the RGB scart socket on my TV. However I don't want to buy all the extra cables until I can prove it will work on just my DVD player.

So if anyone can please help I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    Rich

2. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hello richimlong

RGB on SCART is RGB + Composite Sync (4 core) - if your AV Receiver is YUV 'Component' compatible (3 core) then its not that practical or beneficial to try and use the AV Receiver as your switching hub.

As shortround says the only sensible way to make this work is to install an RGB2YUV converter between the Source and the AV Receiver.

If you have multiple SCART RGB enabled devices you can often 'daisy chain' them or pre switch them on a suitable SCART switch with the RGB2YUV converter on the Output side of the SCART switch.

Joe

4. richimlong

richimlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks alot. That first cable seems to be spot on! However I was under the impression that the converter I already have should do this job, along with the appropriate component leads? If only I could test before buying!

Your second link, I think, sums up my confusion. Both my amp (Arcam AVR350) and my DVD player have the option to either work in RGB or YUV component. Now I know that YUV won't work without a converter like the one you suggested, but I don't understand why RGB component doesn't work. Afterall I thought that component RGB was simply a way of separating out onto separate cables, the signals that get sent to different pins within the scart interface. Maybe Im wrong on this? :confused:

But thanks for the help :)

5. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I think you need to be a little clearer in exactly what you're trying to do.

Which output socket of your DVD player are you intending to use?

Which input of your amp are you going to use and in what signal format?

Which output from amp and again, what signal format?

What input on display/what signal format?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hello richimlong

'Component' video is any signal where the video signal is split in constituent parts - so S-Video (2 core), YUV (3 core) SCART RGB (4 core) and RGB (3 core - with sync on green as used in the Pro market) are all 'Component' video signals.

In the US where SCART RGB is not used the term 'Component' video has become the norm when describing a YUV (or YPbPr) signal - hence the RGB/YUV confusion.

Your AV Receiver has the ability to 'tie' its three channel YUV signal path to its single channel Composite signal path to let you switch SCART RGB ( 4 core) through the AV Receiver - though it doesn't do any cross conversion between YUV and SCART RGB - they are kept as separate signal paths.

It is possible to send RGB (with Composite Sync) or YUV over SCART - the YUV signal travels on the same pins/lines as the RGB lines of the RGB + Composite sync signal but your Display cant do anything with the YUV signal unless its YUV switchabel on SCART as it cant extract the sync from the Y line of the YUV signal.

I think its RGB (3 core) vs. RGB+Composite sync (4 core on SCART) that's throwing you not YUV vs. RGB.

Joe

7. richimlong

richimlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, Heres the whole situation :)

Firstly I should point out that my TV doesn't have any YUV component input - only RGB scart, hence the question. So at no point would I see any benefit from any of the signals being converted to YUV component. And for a variety of reasons I won't be able to upgrade the TV for about another 6 months :(

The kit:
    Arcam AVR350
    Arcam dv89
    Sky+ / DVD recorder on same scart daisy chained.
    Wii
    Old Samsung CRT TV with just 2 scarts - one of which is RGB

What I would like:

DVD player == Component RGB (4 core from component outputs) ==> AVR350
    Sky+ / DVD recorder == Component RGB (4 core from component outputs) ==> AVR350
    Wii == Composite ==> AVR350 (I believe the amp will then covert this to component RGB for output to TV)

AVR350 == component RGB converted (4 core) into scart ==> TV

So in short I would like my AVR350 to provide switching for all the video sources, with just one cable to the TV. I believe that the AVR350 should be able to provide this complete with the sync data cable. Its certainly mentioned and described in the manual.

So is all this possible, or have I totally misunderstood everything :D

Rich

8. richimlong

richimlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Joe,

Thats a great explanation. I did understand that there was a different between the US standard YUV and the European RGB. YUV is no good to me because I pretty sure the TV does not support it.

The manual of my dv89 says:

As you have also said the AVR350 will use the component lines + a composite channel to swtch video.

This is great :)

Last piece of the jigsaw is trying to get the 4 core component RGB from the amp / DVD player into the RGB scart socket of my TV. Is this just a question of getting each of the 4 inputs onto the correct pin of the scart interface? And will this work? Your last comment:

I didn't quite understand (surely YUV requires 3 pins where RGB plus composite requires 4?), but are you basically saying its not possible?

Thanks again for all your help with a very stupid, very confused individual ;)

Rich

9. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    To get the RGB and Sync signal from the amp to your TVs scart, you simply need a reverse of the cable I posted a link to above. You can select the reverse version in the drop down list under 'price'.

10. richimlong

richimlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks - I think you might be right.

I think the widget that I bought and linked to in my first can't have been bi directional which tis a shame!

Rich

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hello richmlong

The AVR350 lacks the ability to convert between RGB+Composite Sync (4 core) and YUV (3 core) - it can 'switch' either or signal but not convert from one to the other.

RGB+Composite sync 'seems' to be your best option and to enable it via the AVR350 will require a few new cables - or a Plan B.

Your connectivity will be as follows:

SKY+ > DVD Recorder - SCART to SCART
    DVD Recorder to AVR350 - SCART to 4RCA
    DVD Player to AVR350 - SCART to 4RCA (or 4RCA to 4RCA)
    Wii to AVR350 - Wii SCART Cable + SCART (female) to 4RCA cable.
    AVR350 to Display - 4RCA to SCART.

All kit must be set to Output/Input/Switch RGB on SCART.

Joe