• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Component Recommendations

Jace

Standard Member
My parents have finally decided to take the plunge into the world of computers & internet. I've succeeded in putting the brakes on their proposed visit to PC World where they were prepared to pay around £600 and offered my services instead (as part of my cunning plan which they've agreed to :) ).

Plan is, out of my current build, I'll be giving them:

Case - Antec 300
CPU - Core 2 Duo E8400
Mobo - ASUS P5QL
RAM - 4GB Corsair (2 x 2GB)

I have a WD 250GB HD & my brother in law has a spare low spec ATi card to add to the above
I'm not sure whether to keep the PSU (It's a Corsair VX550) for my build and get them a slightly lower watt PSU or give them mine and get a slightly higher watt PSU which would depend on the new components.

Anyway, they are giving me £500 for a new CPU (Intel), RAM, MOBO, PSU & Case to go with my existing GTX460 1GB & 500GB WD HD. I mainly use my rig for gaming & internet. I'll also need to buy a copy of Win 7 with the funds to put onto the blank HD I'll be giving them.

Hope that's clear & cheers for recommendations / advice.

so is this recomendations to finish building thier rig or for you to build a new one for yourself?

if its for thiers, what do they use it for? or want to use it for? how long do they intend to keep it for before upgrading?

if its for you then what kinda games do you play? do you (or they for that matter) need keyboard, mouse, monitors?

Jace

Standard Member
The parts are for me....(from original post)

'Anyway, they are giving me £500 for a new CPU (Intel), RAM, MOBO, PSU & Case to go with my existing GTX460 1GB & 500GB WD HD. I mainly use my rig for gaming & internet. I'll also need to buy a copy of Win 7 with the funds to put onto the blank HD I'll be giving them.'

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
For the budget and usage you've said, you should definitely be looking at the i5s and above. AMD's hexcore solutions may also be a consideration with Intel's 1156 i7s being a push.
For just gaming an i5 will probably suit you quite well.

This may not be the best time for buying a new motherboard and CPU due to Intel's "Sandy Bridge" CPUs being released in Jan.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom