1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component progressive scan

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by keyser, Feb 2, 2002.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a nintendo GameCube which has progressive scan if I connect it with a component cable, and the same goes for my Pioneer 737 DVD player. Is there no european TV that I can use to make the most of these features? Some Toshiba TV´s have component inputs but no progressive scan, and Hitachi and Panasonic have progressive scan but no component inputs, is there no TV or is there a TV coming soon that I can use to get the best picture out of my Nintendo and my DVD. Thanks.

p.s. what the hell does this mean for me "One of the major selling points of this machine will be its Progressive Scan, a feature that is used to reduce motion artifacts and eliminate picture lines through a process that is called 'deinterlation'. This is all well and good of course, until you realise that prog scan on a DVD is incompatible with progressive scan mode on any non-interlaced display device such as an LCD screen, plasma or an LCD projector. The only option, if using a high-end DVD machine in conjunction with this Panasonic is to disable the player's Progressive Scan function and rely on the telly's 100 Hz processing." I saw this in the review of the latest Panasonic set. Why can´t a dvd be plugged in the TV and still have progressive scan on, I just dont understand that. If the TV is progressive scan and can´t use a DVD progressive scan signal, then whats the point? :) This is making my brain overload.

2. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I'm having the same problem, I think the progresive scan is like DD/DTS decoding, in the way that if both your DVD player and your amp can decode then that's one to many and you have to either decode on one or the other.

What that means is that if you get a TV with component ins that decode progressive scan then you will need to disable the feature on either your DVD player or your TV on that input.

I may be talking rubbish but I'm going to email Pioneer to find out what the best setup is so I'll let you know.

Cheers,
    R.

PS. If I am talking rubbish then maybe someone else can explain it as I've asked a couple of times with no replies. :)

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loewe TVs with the optional VGA module can take progressive scan input, but with VGA connection, you will have to get a component to VGA converter, Loewe has one available in the States...