1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component / Progressive Confused Newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bbasra, Jun 24, 2005.

1. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    My setup is located in my signature.

I am now going to go Component and Progressive Scan to improve pic quality.

my setup will be as follows:

Pioneer 575 Progressive Scan DVD player Component YUV into Denon 3805 YUV Input 1

SKY+ RGB SCART to RGB SCART into JS Technology Convertor and then JS Tech YUV ouput into Denon 3805 YUV Input 2

My plasma only has a scart and the vga input card, no component card, so i have bought a http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?SBB404 which i will connect the 3 x rca to my Denon and the vga into the Plasma.

Now i am confused about, progressive settings, resolution such as 1080i etc, what does this mean and what settings does mine support?

Thanks In Advance.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Progressive is either on or off. In off the interlaced material from the DVD disc is turned into progressive scan format by the plasma screen. When on the interlaced material is turned into progressive scan by the player so the plasma screen doesn't have to do this (the hope being that the players prog scan chip is better than the plasmas).

1080i, 720p etc is upscaling. It is totally irrelevant for the setup you are promoting, and you wouldn't use it anyway since the plasma is only the equivalent of 480p resolution.

Basically what you are about to do is all spot on :smashin:

3. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    thanks mate, understood.

I guess i will only notice whether the chip is better in the pany plasma or pioneer dvd player by trying both settings.

480p, is that it ..... will i notice a huge picture quality difference in this case?

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    480p is the resolution yes, it hasn't gained or lost anything. But this means nothing about the actual quality of the signal. The conversion from 480i to 480p is where all the good stuff has happened!

5. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    so basically the dvd player will be 480p and the sky box via the JS RGB to Component converter will be 480i.

Am i correct is saying that the converter or the plasma will not convert the signal from interlaced to progressive for the sky box?

also, just a look at your website. any chance of a cheap JS converter? :)

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The output of your DVD player will be 576i/576p for PAL material and 480i/480p for NTSC material depending on if you have the DVD players prog scan turned on. Your Sky box will output 576i. Your plasma will deinterlace all incoming signals unless they are already deinterlaced (progressive scanned) and it will scale all incoming signals be it 576i/576p, 480i/480p to its own native resolution ie 480 lines :smashin:

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Correctamundo!! Well almost, the DVD player will be 480p for NTSC and 576p for PAL (the two are slightly different). Since Sky is PAL it will be 576i, but the theory is the same.

So for DVD it is the DVD player that does the deinterlacing (conversion from i to p), for Sky the plasma screen is going to be doing the deinterlacing.

And yes by switching between progressive on and off you will be able to see the difference between plasma doing the deinterlacing, or the DVD player doing it.

Drop me an email if you need pricing on anything.

8. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    so if the dvd player progressive scan is off (the picutre is interlaced 576i), the plasma will automatically deinterlace the picture making the result progressive (576p).

So how will this work for the sky box? The sky box will also output 576i just the like the dvd player. Will the plasma de-interlace this picture too, making the sky box progressive too downscaling to it's native resolution of 480 lines?

i am asking this question because i have not bought the JS converter yet and would like to know how much difference connecting via component makes to the picture quality, if a great deal, i will buy the converter.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes the plasma will deinterlace and rescale the Sky signal.

Converting the colourspace over to component will not add anything to the quality of the signal from the SKy box though. The JS Box transcodes, it doesn't improve. I advise getting an RGB-VGA converter to connect in the VGA socket of the screen.

10. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    thanks for your replies. hopefully last question

The plasma is deinterlacing for the sky box (i to p), wouldn't this improve the pic quality, just like the dvd player if the dvd player progressive is set to off, the plasma would do the deinterlacing for it? I always thought progressive provides a better pic than interlaced.

i cant buy a RGB-VGA converter to connect to the plasma as i have ordered a component to vga for my denon amp and everything will connect component via the denon?

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sorry confused you with someone else - go ahead on the component conversion!!

Progressive being better than interlaced suggest a plasma can be interlaced. I think the confusion here is this, whatever happens the picture when it is displayed will be progressive scan. Something (the plasma, the DVD player or something else) must convert the picture to progressive scan as this is how your plasma displays an image.

The question is - will the prog scan chip in your DVD player be a *better* prog scan chip than in your plasma. With the 575 and PWD6 it will actually be quite close but the 575 in prog scan mode will likely get it. Simply having a player with prog scan does not necessarily mean it will be better. Unfortunately it's not black and white (would be nice if it were, but there again I wouldn't have much of a job!)

12. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for clearing it up. thats exactly what i wanted to know.

so in fact the dvd player will still have a better picture because the progressive chip in the pioneer is better than the chip in the panasonic. :smashin:

Next question is, cant i just get a rgb scart to component cable and connect this into my denon from my sky box, why do i need the JS converter for? Cant the cable to the conversion for me? The converter is not cheap.....

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If it was just a matter of useing a cable to convert from RGB to YUV then the JS-Tech Converter would not sell!
    Sky (and most other STB's) output RGBcvS and this is not compatable with YUV Component. Therefore to be able to connect everything to your receiver for video switching you will need the JS-Tech (or equivelent) converter. A scart to component cable is only a cable that passes on whatever is fed into it.

Mark.