1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Prog Scan disappointment

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by grahammackie, Dec 26, 2003.

1. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xmas day arrived and I plugged in my nice new Denon 2200 into the Sony Plasma with shiny new component cables - switched the plasma to YUV (from S-video) and ..... no difference!!

In fact with a R1 copy of X-men (using 480p) component the picture was worse than and interlaced s-video picture.

I have tried four different DVD's and every setting I can find on the Denon and the plasma and I cannot tell the difference with a PAL DVD between the two.

Is there anything I should look for ? Can I get the NTSC prog DVD resolution up ?

Any help greatly appreciated as the £500 I spent on the Denon was purely for its component output and prog scan...

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    These sort of things do happen. May be the s-video stage of the plasma is really good and the component side is a bit poor. Maybe the dvd player increases sharpness slightly on s-video so that compensates for a less detailed image.

I often read that s-video is much better than composite yet on my Sharp tv you struggle to see any difference where as scart rgb has a superb image, stunning in fact at times. Contrast this with other televisions where scart rgb just isn't right and s-video is miles better. My Panasonic AE100 projector can give a damn good display via vga or component but s-video is frankly mediocre at best.

Out of interest did you disconnect the s-video lead when you connected the ocmponent leads just to make sure you were looking at component? In fact I would disconnect everything but the component leads just to be sure.

Any chance of any digital camera images so we can have some idea of the difference?

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If your Sony plasma is one of the all-in-one units then it's going to be an ALiS panel which are themselves interlaced so feeding the panel a progressive image might not make any difference as the display will be taking the progressive image and then interlacing it before display.

My Denon 2900 looked ten times better on my HS10 PJ using prog-scan than it did when fed interlaced.

I am now waiting for my 50" Panasonic plasma which again should benefit greatly.

It's all down to how good the deinterlacer in your display device is compared to that in the source device.

Cheers, Lee

4. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony is a PFM510 professional monitor with more inputs than you can shake a stick at - although the inputs come in the from of an upgradeable module. I am connecting with 3 BNC's for YUV alough there are actually 5 BNC's in the RGB 1 box. It also has an RGB2 c15 pin style i/f.

I will try and get some pictures ..

5. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the S-video version

Resized to upload but resized a little too much so not sure how much use it is as it appears grainy through pixelation..

Attached Files:

6. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the RGB version...

Attached Files:

7. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    skin tones seem to be alot darker on the first image ;-)

Really though you should try to have almost the same image for comparisions. The rgb picture does appear to look a bit better but theres vertical banding slightly on the bottom left side of rgb. Not sure if thats from the original image or camera. Will the plasma accept an actual scart RGB image? From what loonatic is saying the Sony may be doing un-necessary extra processing and create another stage of degradation in the image. Hence you may not get great results. If the Sony is reprocessing the image back to interlace and then reprocessing it again back to progressive RGB for final display you will not get any benefit.