component problems with 42pd5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by snappyq, Aug 20, 2004.

1. snappyq

snappyq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi
    im a newbie and have purchased a hitachi 5200 i am having problems with connecting a scart from my dvd to the component on the tv (av2 set to rgb) when connected the picture is going really fast from left to right and im getting a NO SYNC SIGNAL in big yellow wring acccross the screen, i took the scart out put it in sky+ to see if that made any difference but it was just the same.
    any ideas anyone?
    cheers

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    When AV2 is set to RGB I would assume it converts the 3 phono plugs to RGB mode. So it should work right? Well no.

RGB from a scart is RGBs - Red, Green, Blue, and a Separate Sync, a fourth phono plug. With only three phonos available the plasma is wanting RGsB - Red, Green, Blue where the sync signal is merged with the green signal instead of down a separate lead. This output is very uncommon on consumer settop boxes so unfortunately you will need something like the Keene BlackBox converter to convert RGBs to RGsB, or better still use a JS RGB to Component box (or even buy a new DVD player with component connections and progressive scan!).

I don't have much experience using Hitachi plasmas so I may be talking from my backside somewhat, but I'm pretty sure i'm not (this time at least) :rolleyes:

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Just had one thought, setting AV2 to RGB might make use of the standard video input on AV2 as the separate sync. You need a scart to 4 RCA lead to run R, G and B to the respective terminals and composite video (a.k.a. RGB sync) to the video terminal to see if this works (or hopefully someone who has already done it might comment???)

4. snappyq

snappyq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks for that advice like i said im new to all this and its cracking me up,so i should be getting a scart to 4 rca component cable and put the other conector into the video terminal
    i will give this a try
    thanks for all your help

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Snappy I'm not 100% sure if this approach will work with your plasma (we don't tend to sell Hitachi's). It did on earlier generation Panasonics, Pioneers and on many HC projectors (inc Hitachi TX100). Best to see if you can find something in the manual or if your Hitachi dealer knows for sure before rushing out and buying more cables!!

6. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695
    just checked that there for you on mine..... it works with a scart to rgb and sync on composite lead and av2 set on rgb, just as liam suggested

7. snappyq

snappyq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi liam
    yeah it workes a treat thanks alot,have got a pioneers 575 but havnt got an amp yet or any decent speakers so am waiting to get some cash totether then will set up the pioneer with componets through prog scan,but at least this will imrove the picture until then
    thanks again lads

8. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    If you gotta buy new leads might as well just buy the component ones now!!

9. jeebas

jeebas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be happy with the solution you have now, but I don't think you are doing your 42PD5200 any justice with it. At the very least, I wouldn't suggest using anything other than straight component to component (AV1) with this screen. And to go for the best results, I'd say look for a DVD player with DVI or HDMI (using HDMI to DVI cable) on RGB1 input of your 42PD5200.

You don't even need to have a top of the range DVD player, I've got a Toshiba SD-330E (multi region & component) from RS for £60 and the quality diference from an older LG scart model to this one was amazing. And if you decide not to because you haven't got or don't want to spend the £60, do all that you need to to either get one or at least get a loan of one.

A would put money on it that your picture quality will improve a lot over the scart option!

Just my opinion.

:smashin:

10. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Jeebas bear in mind that the scart option used here is an RGB signal which is pretty much indistinguishable from component signals. Scart can also send SVHS and composite video (and component if you wanted it to) which confuses the issue. I agree that if you've got component connections anyway might as well use 'em since it gives way to using progressive scan, but the video signal type itself is not superior to RGB

11. snappyq

snappyq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    like i said i have got a dvd player that can use progressive scan but havn't got the right speakers yet so im just waiting for a few weeks to get some cash together then im going to rig it all up with componet cables and hopefully an amp as well this was just something to use instead of composite which was pretty naff,i would like some feedback on what amp and what speakers to get will have budget of around £800
    thanks for all the advice so far :laugh: