1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component Picture quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bass007, Aug 17, 2005.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, I have recently purchased a LG 42 PX3RV plasma, and using a Pioneer 585 dvd player.

I am using the component out, I want to know whether or not I am getting 1080 picture quality?

2. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I doubt it. It's only a 852 x 480 pixel screen.

4. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hmm so why does it say in the specs

- Component (480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i)

I'm a bit confused

5. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it says that, it must mean it can accept a 1080i (interlaced) signal if you were feeding it that. The tv must then re-size it to standard definition.

I don't know what the capability of your DVD player is but if its low spec, then it may just do progressive scan 576p/480p. I think it is the Pioneer 668 and 868 which upscale to 720p and the latter to 1080i as well.

6. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    ok so the If the display (plasma) can accept 1080, the DVD player has to be able to send it? right? I have the 585, I noticed that the in the menu of the DVD player it gave me the option to have it set to either progressive or Interlaced I just set it to Progressive, should I st it to Interlaced?

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You may find the LG may work better with progressive switched on. Since this player does not have digital video outputs, you are unlikely to do any better than 576p with it.

8. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hmm, means I will have to get a better player, any recommendations?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are no players that upscale to 1080i on component output, various players do it digitally. Not sure if your screen has HDCP DVI, and what signals it accepts. Check the manual for that. Also, be aware that a player outputting 1080i is simply rescaling the 576 lines of a PAL DVD, which your screen then rescales to 480. All those scaling operations tend to lose info, it can't be good. Of course the picture is improved by genuine high definition, but this ain't it. The Onkyo DV1000 I think is one of very few to offer upscaling on analogue component video, and it cost twice as much as your screen.....
    If you have picture problems, it might be worth considering a second hand scaler. Try classifieds maybe, that will do the biz for all your inputs. And you could use it to scale all to native res, instead of relying on your panels built in circuits to do this.

10. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hmm, well here are the specs of the LG 42PX3RV,

Picture
    - VGA(852 * 480)
    - Peak Brightness : 1500Cd
    - Contrast Ratio 10,000:1
    - New XD Engine
    - 3D Digital Comb filter
    - DCDi / DLTI / DCTI
    - Film Filter
    Sound
    - AVL, SRS,BBE
    - Output: 15W + 15W
    Convenience
    - All-In-One (2 Tuner/Desk Stand/Speaker)
    - Twin picture/PIP/POP (Flexible size)
    - ARC (Aspect Ratio Correction)
    - Zoom in/out / Text 4000 Page
    - HDMI
    -
    - RS-232C / Side S, AV IN

I'm a bit confused as you see it says Component (480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i)

11. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi kevin, how you doin? my k5s/k7 are installed now and doing great!

It was about time you got a display which approached the quality of your sound system!

With your current setup i would definately use component and see whether the progressive or interlaced output works best from your current dvd player.

I see from the specs of the plasma that is has DCDi which i believe (may be mistaken) is someform of internal de-interlacer - this may work better (or not) than the dvd players one. - just see which looks best.

I also see you have an HDMI input on the plasma, maybe next step is to purchase a HDMI/DVI capable dvd player? This should bring a further inprovement.

Cheers

Paul

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    OK, HDMI digital input. The listed component signals are the ones it can accept, which are standard formats for hdtv and sdtv in various regions. Ours is 576i SDTV here. DVD players are capable of progressive scan, 576p, which is often an iprovement, even all that DCDi stuff LG sing on about, it's not as good as a mid range DVD player at 'deinterlacing', changing fro interlaced to progressive, and as yours is a progressive display, clearly any interlaced signals must be made progressive somewhere, just where is best? Likewise scaling. UK tv/dvd is 576 lines, your plasma is 480 lines tall. It must be scaled to 480 lines, you could export this function to an external device, or just leave it to the plasma. Any signal you send it will be scaled to 480 lines, so no grat advantage in scaling 576 to1080, then back down to 480, might as well do it once and do it well.

13. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The LG 42PX3RV can display very well 1080i-I have seen it with HDTV receiver and Euro 1080 (the HD channel on astra1).Of course the TV must downscaling to fit the number of pixels, but still the PQ is great-I think downscaling is better then up scaling-for DVD I use component and Progressive scan, but unless you don't have HD material (DVD) I don’t see reason to use up scaling. Anyway in the feature you have all the inputs (HDMI) to play HD sources-the LG is HD compatable, but not true HD panel.
    If your DVD player has HDMI out you can connect it to the plasma and the picture will be even better,because the extra clarity and noiselessness from the all-digital input.

Anyway still looks great!

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    What are you confused about mate?

You screen has 480 lines of resolution.

If you send it a Pal signal ie TV or DVD 720x576i it will add a few horizontal lines and take away nearly 100 lines of vertical resolution and then it will deinterlace those lines to give you a progressive picture.

With an NTSC signal, 720x480i, it will add a few horizontal lines and then it will deinterlace those lines to give you a progressive picture.

If you send it a progressive image the screen no longer has to deinterlace, a good scaler or player will propably do this better than the set, a cheap one may do it worse.

You screen will also accept the Hi-Def formats too, ie 1280x720p and 1920x1080i.

With the 1280x720p it will loose nearly 500 lines of horizontal resolution and 1/3 of the vertical resolution but it won't have to deinterlace so it should still look very good and a lot better than DVD.

With the 1920x1080i it will loose over 50% of the horizontal resolution, and then it has to deinterlace the first 540 odd fields and down scale them to 480 lines and then deinterlace the even fields and again downscale them to 480 lines.
    With all that going on you csan see why having a decent scaler is a good idea.

People will say NTSC DVD (on a good player) will probably look best on your screen as it is very close to native resolution, however I personally don't think it makes a hell of a difference until you get to pixel map exactly, ie not using the screens processing at all. The difference on my screen between sending it 1024x768 and then adjusting the timings to get it 1:1 mapped is very obvious. The difference between standard 1024x768 and 720p is hardly anything.

I would not suggest an upscaling player, for the same money as a player worth getting, something like a Lumagen scaler at £695 would be a much smarter buy.

15. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, psflynn, great to hear your M&K's are in action.

Thanks for all the info I think I get it now, I think

Thanks Gizarloc for your explantion, I won't be getting a scaler beacuse its way too expensive and I could have spent the money on a better plasma like the panny or Hit. Thanks for your suggestions, I have now run out of funds for the rest of the year, If i speand any more I may find myself in the dog house with the other half!

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Haha, I know that all too well.

I wasn't really suggesting a scaler, I was really pointing out that an upscaling dvd player that was really good would not be far off scaler price, and that you may find the YUV from your current player on your screen is as good if not better than using a cheaper upscaling player.

17. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I see, anyway, if I got a DVD player with a HDMI output and use that would I get a better picture? which is worth doing?

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    For the money, probably not worth it. As Guy says, to get a decent upscaling HDMI player will cost as much as a scaler. The scaler would do the business for all your inputs, not just DVD. Your player is not bad at all, hard to beat at the price level in fact, if you have actual picture problems it's not the player but the screen

19. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I don't have probs just want to squeez the best out of it, in fact the quality is better than I ever expected for the money. Also I am using a normal patch cord for the component cable, will change that soon.