1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component over RGB

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Dave P, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Dave P

Dave P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Given that both the quality of the connections, the cables the source material and the DVD and TV hardware are equal and constant, which, in theory is better; RGB or component?
    My understanding is that RGB obviously is giving you the picture made from the three primary colours and as such you can't get a purer source of colour. Contrast is generated in the different shades of the colours.
    However, I've read else where the video is actually laid on the DVD in a form of only red and blue colours whereby green is matrixed from the other two and the contract/luminance is added seperately. Theoretically this makes component the better option as less conversion takes places from DVD read to image display.

Your thoughts please chaps.

2. RobbieD

RobbieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm been reading up on this a little in the past few days as I'm wondering about using the component input on my TV.

As you say, video on a DVD is (digitised) component, but the three guns of the TV are feed by RGB. So a conversion from component to RGB has to take place somewhere.

The two choices are either;

Using RGB connections: The DVD player converts the component signal to RGB.

Using component connections: The TV set converts the component signal to RGB.

RGB has always been the best standard in Europe. But the US guys use component. Now that more and more of us are becoming aware of the US home theather scene, and constantly seeing them recommend component connections, we are demanding component connections on our kit too.

In reality, which gives the best in any system depends on whether the TV or the DVD player does a better job at the component to RGB conversion.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Robbie has it:

Component isn't just used in the US. It's used worldwide in Broadcast as it's an analogue compression of RGB. So, it takes up less bandwidth......

Conversion from RGB to Component is, essentially, lossless.

Perhaps our resident standards expert Oasis will pop by with a good explanation of what's on a DVD.

Gordon

4. Dave P

Dave P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Robbie,

I hadn't though of it like that with the RGB gun conversion bit.
    Like you say, something somewhere is going to have to do some conversion whether it be the DVD player of the TV.
    It seems to me there isn't a thoeretically techincally correct answer to this one and it's going to be a bit like the coax/optical debate, just try it and see which you prefer.

Thanks chaps.