Component outputs

common

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a Rotel DVD player with component outs (no scarts) but my TV does not have component in. Can you buy a component out to scart in socket ? if so where from, how much and is it worth it. I am currently using S video to S video.

Thanks

The only relevant things I've ever seen cost less than a new TV. But then they were transcoders and I'm not actually sure they're relevant at all. I'm probably totally wrong as I usually am about these things.

I looked at the possibility a couple of years ago as I have a Pioneer 606 which is a USA model with component outputs and no RGB. My TV doesn't have component inputs so I am stuck with s-video.

I believe that a component to RGB converter does exist but costs more than a new TV.

It would be cheaper to sell your TV and buy a new Toshiba as they seem to have component inputs but it would be even cheaper to make do with what you have as I have done

Ian

I will tell you what I have, as I don´t know your equipment: my DVD Arcam DV88 also as component outputs, but they can be configured to RGB, yours should too, so buy a component or RGB to SCART cable, or have one done, and connect to your TV. My TV, Loewe Vitros, also only has SCART inputs, but one of them is configurable to component and two to RGB...

Hope it helps,

Originally posted by Lowrider:
<STRONG>I will tell you what I have, as I don´t know your equipment: my DVD Arcam DV88 also as component outputs, but they can be configured to RGB, yours should too, so buy a component or RGB to SCART cable, or have one done, and connect to your TV. My TV, Loewe Vitros, also only has SCART inputs, but one of them is configurable to component and two to RGB...

Hope it helps,</STRONG>

Arcam yes, Rotel No. It is actually illegal under DVD regulations to do this but Arcam does it anyway (and well done to them).

There are a few boxes that can do this but expensive and really designed for RGBHV not the Scart variant. Basically it is S Video of Loewe or Toshiba TVs.

Stick to S-Video, buying a new TV just for the sake of component connection is IMHO overkill. Unless you intend to go for a projector ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom