1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Outputs?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RobbieD, Jun 13, 2001.

1. RobbieD

RobbieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have read that video on a DVD disk is held in digital component form, and that it is then converted by the player to other standards such as composite, S-Video & RGB.

Is it possible to have DVD players without component outputs modified to add component outputs? Has anyone come across this, possibly from a multiregion modifier?

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Robbie,

It wouldn't be possible to add component outputs to a player, It would be far easier to just by one with them already, if it was important to you . As far as quality is concerned, I've used component and RGB, and there is very little, if anything between the two.

Cheers Rob.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Never heard that, but you may try:
    http://www.dvdplayer.de/

Send him an email and see what he can do (or not).
    But I agree with Rob, it's probably easier (and cheaper) to buy a new player.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I'd imagine its possible depending on player you might have to add hardware or reprogram the firmware.

The playstation 2 for example infamously outputs component via its scart for dvd playback but its possible to hack it to output RGB as Techtronics have already done. I think it just involves supplying current from elsewhere on the board to another connector pad to switch it into RGB mode. ( ie one wire)

Most players would operate in the same way as the remap from component to RGB or analogue component for that matter happens at the same stage in the image pipeline. Its just a matter of choice and whether the firmware will allow it. ( minor hardware mod might be required to go component only player to RGB scart because of the composite sync issue.

You can go the whole hog and pull the image out before it even goes analogue using an SDI output mod although this is expensive I think it can be performed on just about any player.

As stated before it probably makes more sense to buy a new player and bear in mind on most kit you won't see an appreciable difference between component and RGB.

5. RobbieD

RobbieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the feed back all.

My new TV only has one RGB input, but also has a component input. As I have both Sky Digital & DVD, I though it may be worth thinking about using the component input for the DVD.

My player is a Sony DVP-CX850 200 disc changer. I believe the US version of this has component outputs. My next upgrades will probably be speakers (currently Mission 73 series) followed by Amp (doesn't have a Dolby Digital decoder so I feed it with the 5.1 output of the player) - so replacing the DVD player is way down the list, but a mod (if possible) would be worth considering.