1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component output ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richjthorpe, Jan 10, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

Is there a GPU that offers component output ? I was wondering whether I'd be able to upscale a Freeview signal (From a Nebula card) and output to an LCD via component. DVI is already being used by DVD player.

Thanks,

Richie.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I believe there's an nVidia 6600 variant with component output, also ATI sell a 'dongle' that converts the RGB in the DVI-I socket to component at fixed resolutions.

3. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    RX600 Pro-HDTV

[​IMG]

PCI-Express only but no need for dongles / doo-dahs or widgets :thumbsup:

4. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about nVidia cards, but ATI's cards have a gadget that converts to component output.

See this item:
    http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/index.html

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Just to add to what has already been said. My ATI Radeon X800 came with a cable giving component out. This is not the 'dongle' you hear mentioned, but just a cable using the third output on the card. This means you can have DVI, VGA and component from one card....very nice :D

Rob

6. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Finally then, some component outputs!!!

I have a supplemental question though...

I've not bothered building an proper HTPC yet, because our AV rack is at the opposite end of our lounge to our Sanyo Z2 projector, and so too far for reliable DVI. I know (having tested it with a regular PC and a 7m DVI), that 1280x720 DVI output to the Z2 looks great.

My concern is - will top quality component cable be able to handle 720p? Will it be in the same league as DVI?

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Problem is though, you would be converting from Digital (GPU) to Analogue (Component cable) to Digital (LCD/Plasma). It can't be good for the signal.

8. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    surely its no worse using an analogue VGA signal to a DVI input, like many people are still doing

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I wouldn't be so worried about the DA conversions , is no worse than using VGA and preferable to sparklies over a bad DVI cable.

However I've got a 12m DVI-D cable that was guaranteed to not suffer sparklies. The companyalos did a 15m one . Had to order from the states and the seller was an ebay store but it works great with my HS20 ...no sparklies. Do a search in the cable forum I posted about it last year.

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DA conversions are one thing, but surely the issue is at the far end when the pixel clock has to be used to 'pick' each pixel which AIUI is where instability can be introduced in lower-end equipment?

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ironduke, you have a Sharp LCD don't you. Is there a VGA input on the Sharps ? I don't think there is.

I have a problem where I want to connect a Denon 1910 DVD player via DVI and also a PC via DVI. Short of getting a switcher (Not very wife friendly !) I'm trying to find other ways of getting the 2 signals to the LCD.

There are 4 ways I can think of...
    1. DVI Switcher.
    2. A GPU with DVI throughput (If one exists) and let the PC do the switching.
    3. Plug the PC into a different input. Available ones are Component, RGB SCART and S-Video.
    4. Get an AV receiver with DVI switching although £1k for an amp is a little overkill for my system !!

Anyone got any ideas ? If I take the Component route what will the images of Win XP be like ? Can I go from VGA to RGB SCART and if so can that do hi-def ?

Thanks,

Richie.

12. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    To go back to an earlier point about relative picture quality differences between DVI and component, I would say to always use DVI where possible. I have tested my Sony HS10 with both signal types and the picture through DVI is far superior. I have also used my 20" LCD monitor through VGA and DVI, both using long cables, (7m IIRC) and DVI was noticably better. I have both cables connected at the same time, and could switch between each signal in around 1 second. It really was a night and day change. Needless to say, I use DVI for the monitor now.

Rob

13. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    IMHO the difference between DVI for DVD movies and Component Video for DVD movies is far less then say a DVD player over composite and a DVD player over Component.

Lets talk turkey here the best use of a DVI connection will always be PC based stuff, sure movie will look good, but will never beat the striking geometry or sharpness of PC based applications.

So if u have a PC and u want to connect to your LCD, it should take priority, and that means DVI.

Infact I dont know why u dont play your DVD's thru your PC, the scaling and colour enhancements offered by Cyberlink and the NV DVD decoder will IMHO be superior to any stand alone that isnt stupidly priced.

if you wish to keep your DVD player to make your AV system more versatile give it component, component video is good enough for watching any DVD IMHO, although infuture component make show cracks with very large screens and DVD media

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agreed, but the DVI will be better, like for like, no matter by how little so why not use it?

In any case, the point will be moot when hidef becomes available, you'll not get HD resolutions via component due to the requirement Hollywood will make that HD players etc. implement HDMI, and in turn the HDMI license prevents HD output on analog, so if HD has any potential interest for someone then they'd be best advised to begin using digital soon.

15. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    :rolleyes: because he has a PC he wants to connect to which he can do far more with :rolleyes:

and when Hidif becomes widely available he can then buy a cheap DVI/HDMI switcher, rather then pay 500 quid for a 2-1 now that he wont reap the benefits from to justify the price

16. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've lost the plot of this argument :) .. if he has a PC then DVI is the answer, where does component come in?

17. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Because his PC is a long way from his PJ and there are concerns about long DVI cable runs.

Keep up mate!

18. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Actually the original problem was mine and it goes like this....

I have the chance to get my mits on a P3 733 for free. I want to use it at first as a Music centre and general email and web browsing. I want to do this on the LCD screen I'm getting (Sharp).

I am also getting a Denon 1910 DVD Player that has DVI output and upscaler to Hi Def.

The problem is, if I connect the DVD player to the LCD via DVI (LCD only has one DVI port), how can I connect a PC to the LCD screen when there isn't VGA available.

Later on I will be upgrading the PC to a full on HTPC but the P3 at the moment wont be up to that so I just want to connect the PC to the LCD and have half decent images.

Any ideas ?

Richie.

19. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry Richie, I should have read more carefully, I'd lost sight of your basic problem :blush: ... if you only have a choice of 1 DVI and 1 Component then the easiest option as IronDuke says is to use component for the Denon, unless you go to the effort of getting one of the component-equipped PC cards, which aren't cheap.

20. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hehehe, we all lose sight sometimes ! It's just that we normally have something electrical in our hands and a hole in our pocket when we come to again !! :)

I've found a DVI Switch at, of all places, PC World for less than £120. Would one of these be any good ?

Richie.

21. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    £120 isn't a bad price for one of those, I paid £199 for a Gefen one. Usually I give PC World a wide berth ;), but a DVI switch isn't really rocket science so I'd think it's probably unlikely to be a dud.

22. Prehjan

Prehjan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reading you posts....great stuff..specially the component nvidia capable 6600 series card...
    My question has to do with picture quality....how can i get the best picture from an infocus X1a and a set tp box that does not have component....I knwo that infocus has a cable for component you can buy...also my reciever (kenwood vr-8070) has switching capabilities...for component....now how do i get this set up so that i get the best picture and both my htpc and set top box are connected at once....
    any ideas???

thanks
    Martin out

23. Prehjan

Prehjan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reading you posts....great stuff..specially the component nvidia capable 6600 series card...
    My question has to do with picture quality....how can i get the best picture from an infocus X1a and a set tp box that does not have component....I knwo that infocus has a cable for component you can buy...also my reciever (kenwood vr-8070) has switching capabilities...for component....now how do i get this set up so that i get the best picture and both my htpc and set top box are connected at once....
    any ideas???

thanks
    Martin out