Component output video cards

andyr300

Prominent Member
Reaction score
how do i know whether my GFX carda can output YUV from the VGA port?

or does anyone know which cards can do it?

Unless it has an adaptor or converter (both ATI and Nvidia cards are available with YUV capabilities) then it can't, VGA outputs are always RGB.

how do i know whether my GFX carda can output YUV from the VGA port?

or does anyone know which cards can do it?

I bought a NVIDIA 6600GT card for it's component out capabilities, but it's causing my problems!

At first I thought it was an issue with the breakout cable but the replacement cable appears to have full connectivity yet I'm still getting greyscale images. I haven't had a proper play with it though, I need to do that and try to isolate the problem!

Unless it has an adaptor or converter (both ATI and Nvidia cards are available with YUV capabilities) then it can't, VGA outputs are always RGB.

where could i purchase a convertor/adaptor?

Try ebay. Or ask around nicely and someone might sell you there spare one considering most people don't use it.

edit - sorry, that's only for cards that actually support component out and have the necessary extra pins on the TV out. Firstly what graphics card is it, model and manufacturer?

I've had another play with my card but to no avail. I worked out that the new breakout cable had a different pin configuration to the original so I re-wired and still no joy!

I can only assume that it's the socket on the card that's causing the problem so I've contacted Scan...

I know PC VGA to component doesn't work, but what about DVI to component?

I've also seen that Gigabyte are releasing an HDCP card that comes bundled with an HDMI to 'HDTV' cable, and I'm sure that means component?

Hi,as far as i know D-Sub/VGA(RGB),Scart RGB,component(YUV) & S-Video etc are all analogue signals.DVI-D or HDMI are/carry digital signals(DVI-I can carry analogue as well thou,RGB,it as extra pins for this).

Cheers BOB

ps I would have though the less conversion/processing you can have in the chain before final output to the screen the better.Also would have thought only convert/process if its the only way to connect/input to the device you want to use.

i have an nvidia 6200 card

That should be ok, but double check your tv out has the extra pins. Try ebay for the adaptor or ask around here.

i have no idea,how can i check the manafacturer,i cant remember from when i bought it.maybe leadtek but cant be sure.

Just look at the tv out on the card and compare it to a standard s video cable. If it is exactly the same as s video with only 4 pin holes then you can't use the component adaptor. If it has more, 7 pin holes I think, then you can use the component adaptor.

9 pins on the component out adapter.The easiest way to check is to open her up and check the serial No and then a Google should get you the answer.

looks like 4 pins to me,where can i pick up the cheapest card that will do component out of the box?

thats cheaper than i was expecting,will it come with the component box thing i will need?

also,will PQ be on par with using the VGA?,as i only want to use component to get it at 50hz,im having trouble with the VGA at 50hz!!

Good card that one. A few people have had trouble getting the component out to work on a number cards though, just a heads up.

The component adaptor will come in the box.

outputting to a Panasonic TH42PWD8

at 50hz,the picture comes up so far to the right,i dont have enough adjustment on the screen itself to centre it, and MCE on start up switches the refresh rate upto 75hz which is annoying.

when i force it in powerstrip, i can centre it and the PQ is great, but the sound goes progressively further out of sync as MCE runs.

I don`t know about Plasmas I just know I haven`t found an LCD that accepts 50Hz from a PC so I can`t answer that. I have run VGA out at 1:1 pixel mapping and the TV picture from my Media Centre is no better or worse than component out at 720P.

i think i might try this component output lark,to see if it helps me out.

does it have seperate settings in the nvidia software?can i still run dualview or will i have to use clone??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom