1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Output Limitations?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stevearliss, Apr 18, 2005.

1. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use RGB to connect SKY and DVD to my TV, but simultaneously pass composite from both into a VCR in order to route them to the rest of my house via RF.

I am about to buy a Plasma and intended to get a new DVD player with component output in order to maximise picture quality. However, it would appear that they must be specifically set to output component or non-component. Does this mean that if I use component from DVD player to Plasma I won’t be able to route a modulated component signal to the rest of the house as I currently do?

If so, does anybody know of any alternative solution?

Is a straight component connection better than RGB converted to VGA or component?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Generally a dvd player will disable component output when set to scart RGB but normally composite (for your RF connection) and component output can be used together. However this depends on whether you are using progressive or not. Some dvd players still output interlace composite/s-video signals at the same time as a progressive component signal and some don't. I think sunplus based dvd players happily give out progressive component and interlace composite/s-video at the same time. Mediatek and Zoran generally disable composite/s-video when progressive is enabled. Higher end players which have a dedicated seperate de-interlacing chip often can do both. Also some higher end players can provide both RGB scart output and component output simultanously as they have an amplifier stage to provide two sets of outputs.

With regard your last point I would say RGB converted to component is the least desirable option. The dvd stores its data in component form so to then convert this to RGB and then convert it to component and then finally in the set convert it back to RGB for the final display stage is the most processed option and therefore worst option.

If you can't feed your plasma a digital signal the next best option will be analogue VGA or component (preferably progressive). Component being the most likely option due to the lack of VGA equipped dvd players generally. However this all depends on the display hardware. A friend's techwood plasma gives a generally good display with regards a digital connection and PC VGA but through its tuner box the scart RGB input is far worse than it should be. Looking no better than s-video.

3. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, at least I know it is worth looking for something that will output component and composite simultaneously.

I notice you are based in Yeovil, I work there but based in Dorchester. Can you suggest the nearest places worth demoing decent DVD Players and Plasmas?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I can't really think of much in the way of decent av/hifi retailers in yeovil. There is Mike Manning at the bottom of town in takeaway alley but apart from that its mainly multiples and currys/dixons etc. I think you'll need to make a trip to Bristol if you really want to demo some stuff. There may be dealers in Taunton worth visiting. To be honest I buy most of my gear online but do often check out anything I'm considering locally in Currys/Comet etc.

5. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, as I thought!

I may have to consider a day out to av-sales; to make sure I'm making the right choice before I part with a couple of grand or so on a plasma and DVD player.