Component output is S-video? *confused*

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Daneel, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I noticed today that in order to get component video out of my Toshiba 520E to work on my tv I have to set the output to S-video rather than RGB, is this normal?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    yeah its perfectly normal as a lot of dvd players can't produce scart RGB and component outputs at the same time. Component and RGB are broadly similar. So dvd players especially many Toshiba's will only give out component when scart RGB is not selected.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ok, but I thought component was RGB, there are 3 cables after all, R, G and B! S-video on the other hand, only uses two lines for colour information, no?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Many dvd players are capable of producing component and s-video signals simultanously but not component and scart rgb simultanously. So by selecting s-video you are also enabling component. Of course you shouldn't connect to s-video and component simultanously but the signal is enabled on both ports. The reason selecting s-video enables component output is because selecting scart RGB prevents component output. You can probably select composite if you had the option and that would still keep component working its only Scart RGB that prevents component output.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8