Component out??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KarlRobinson, Mar 2, 2002.

1. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain the 3 sockets on my DVD player called Component out??

I have S-VHS, Scart-RGB and this socket. Is this better than RGB as I thought RGB was the best picture you could get.

Also, do I neet a special lead to use this? and can I connect the TV via this?

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component video is about on par with RGB. Some say slightly better, some say fractionally worse.

It is primarily used outside of Europe but is beginning to appear on certain brands in Europe now.

S-VHS is a video standard and has nothing to do with video signals. You are referring to s-video which can be carried by scart or the s-video connection methods.

Basically, if your tv and a source both have component video,then it is worth using it, even if only to free up the RGB scart to be used by something else.

3. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

How can it be worse than RGB, when DVDs are encoded in Y/Pb/Pr ??

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends on how the tv handles it. Not all televisions are created equal and the quality will vary and this will impact on the picture quality.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The difference between component and RGB is mainly the place where the signal will be converted:
    In the end it has to be RGB(HV) as to drive the CRT, so if you use component to the display the conversion is done in the display device (projector, TV, plasma ...).
    If you use RGB the DVD player will do the conversion from component (as stored on the disc) to RGB.

Note that component is the preferred (more established) connection for PS (progressive scan).

To connect component you may use normal video leads (RCA - RCA usually).

6. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is it true then that progressive scan does not get output via the RGB connection. I have a Denon 2800 DVD connected to a Sony 44PS2 via RGB as the TV has no component inputs. Am I getting prog scan and if not, would it help to get a lead with component at the one end and RGB at the other?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't display progressive scan on a normal TV I'm afraid. You also can't just get a cable with RGB on one end and Component on the other as they are different systems, there are some convertors available (or coming soon) but obviously there's very little point in you using one.

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that for progressive scan you need of course a compatible display. As well the player may have to sets of component outputs, one for interlaced and one for PS. Or there is a switch to flick. On some high-end players you may find BNC instead of RCA connectors for component and/or RGB.

9. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner,
    I see your location: Taipei, Taiwan.

Do you get HD standard broadcasting there in Taiwan?
    or is it another 3rd world like Britain?

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think they have a channel or two doing HDTV, sets are available at shops, too. But widescreen (16:9) TVs are rare like in most Asian countries. You can however find lot's of plasmas but personally I haven't seen any I would buy, too much visible problems typically associated with the technology - not to mention the high prices.

11. denonman

denonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my SONY DVP-S7700 connected to my TOSHIBA 46WH08B
    using component cables.I have found the picture to be outstanding, very film like & smooth.It also frees up my R.G.B. capable scart for other duties.I used 3 digital co-axial cables...

12. scook17

scook17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting. I have the TOSHIBA 56WH08B, and on this size screen, you see all the problems in a very big way. I have a RGB DVD player and was going to upgrade to a component video out one to drive the component video inputs on the TV. Will this make any difference to picture quality?

Kind Regards,
    Shane Cook.