Component out to TVs VGA in, is this poss?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Hue Jorgen, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Hue Jorgen

Hue Jorgen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a component to vga cable of ebay, its about 8 quid.

What i want to do is connect my dvd players progresive component out, to the vga in on my 32 lcd tv.
    The tv has dvi, vga, component, 2 scarts(1 rgb), s-vhs, and composite inputs.

The weird thing is, the TV's vga and dvi inputs menu has a setting for colour tempature, which none of the other inputs have? I would like to use this option if poss. I have my PC conected into the dvi.

Does any one know if this can be done?
    Cheers Carl..

2. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Good post mate
    I bought one Wednesday and got it yesterday Connected it up to Xbox 360 and the VGA input of my projector
    All i got was a green signal and no option in settings to change this so for me it didnt work
    I did however then unplug the whole cable and swap it round
    I plugged the VGA into my HD mediabox output and the components into the component in on the projector and this worked sweet
    Hope this answers any questions you might have

3. PeteD64

PeteD64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Only if your TV is designed to allow it. The video signals are encoded in different ways. It's similar to the explanations in this thread where someone asked about connecting RGB scart to component.

There are a few TVs where you can connect component via the VGA port but they don't normally have dedicated component sockets as well & I assume there's a setting somewhere to configure what is connected to the VGA port.

Also if your TV is anything like mine the VGA port only works with a few different resolutions like 640x480 & 1360x768 but not an unscaled PAL signal (1024x576).

4. Hue Jorgen

Hue Jorgen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I have seen a convertor box that will allow upscaling into the vga, but this is£80.
    I can always use my component in, but i would of liked the tempature setting optiion thats available on the vga in.

The tv by the way is the £500 LCD from Aria. Its a generic brand, and the manual is a bit skimpy, so i cant tell wether or not it will allow the compnent signal into its vga port.

Thanks Carl..

5. Powys

Powys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic LCD TV with Component Video (TX-26LXD1), with poor experience, although I have not spent much time as the initial results were dissapointing.

The standards options available were:
    480i (interlaced)
    480p (progressive)
    720p
    1080i

But these are, I suspect, not PAL and only 480i gave any useful but poor result.

I suspect if I could configure the Graphics card properly for the PAL TV it would be much better.

Does anyone have 1024x576 Custom settings for use with widescreen PAL Component Video for NVidia GeForce 7600 or similar graphics card?

6. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I didn't think this was possible? Is your 'mediabox' an HTPC?