Component out on PAL (UK) gamecube?

Simebaby

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know if the PAL gamecube will actually deliver a signal via component out? I've searched and found conflicting reports, can anyone confirm whether it does or not?

(Not too concerned with progressive scan, just if connecting it via component cable will work at all)

TIA

Si

Hi Simebaby - apparently the PAL GC will output via component (without mods) if you've got an older model with the 'Digital AV' output on the back, Nintendo has removed this feature from newer GCs. Forum member Piln told me he uses it.

But this will only benefit you in 2 ways: if you HAVE to use a component input on your TV, and by providing a split RGB signal (Scart RGB leads are alot cheaper - if you've got an RGB scart input on your TV).

If, however, you are interested in using progressive scan, you'll want to check this link out;

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181427

But you'll need NTSC games (the few that support Prog-scan) and a copy of Freeloader to load the games - so its not really as enticing as the Xbox soft-mod.

If you still want a component lead, get the official lead from Lik-Sang.com for about £20.

There are plenty of NTSC games that support prog scan - nearly all the first party ones for example - F-Zero in prog scan is utterly, utterly gorgeus, as is Resi 4 (yes, I know that's not 1st party).

I would agree with what neil c says, in that it's only worth going down the component route if you've no alternative, or are interested in prog scan. There is very little difference in picture quality between RGB and interlaced component.

There have been erroneous reports that some consoles had their digital outs deactivated, and were effectively dead terminals. If your console has the digital out connection, you will be able to use a component cable, with no mods.

Cheers... the screen I'll be using only has component input (well, what I mean is it has compoment, but no RGB Scart), so that's why I'm after one.

Tried it on a composite cable, and it just looks awful (as you'd expect, really).

My TFT monitor only has a VGA input. I haven't got the foggiest about all this but is it possible to hook up progressive scan or component cables up to the VGA port. My monitor only drops down to 32Khz, is that low enough too?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom