1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component out of a 15pin D-sub?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Landy, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Landy

Landy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a Primare V25 DVD player that states it outputs progressive output from its X-VGA 15pin D-sub outlet. Fine.

However it also states that it is only Y, Pb, Pr (component) output from this connector. Eh? I thought that all 15pin D-subs were RGBHV output only.

I have tried connecting the Primare to the 15pin inputs on a variety of devices including Sim HT200 and Pioneer plasmas but cannot get a picture.

Any advice?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Landy,

Are you Alan by any chance? If so I hope to op inand see you guys sometime soon!

See my response on other post.

Gordon

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Landy,

some systems have component in via the VGA lead - I've built leads for such (what a pain wiring up 15-pin HD connectors!). Essentially, what was RGB is now the YUV input, typically with G being Y, R Pr (V) and B Pb (U).

Quickest solution is to get a VGA to BNC lead and connect this between the Primare and component inputs on your plasmas etc.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. Landy

Landy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gordon, yup its me, pop in and see us any time for a chat and a coffee.

On the Primare thing, a rummage in the hidden menu did indeed allow the thing to output progressive RGB on Pal through the DB15HD socket.

Worked a treat with the Pioneer 43inch Plasma but it did not provide a signal that either the Runco CL500 or SimHT200 could properly lock on to. A bit stange this as the vertical and horizontal frequencies the Primare is outputing should be well within the the limits for either projector.

My only thought is that the Primare is outputing RGsB (sync on green) instead of RGBHV that the projectors require when using the DB15HD socket.

5. Landy

Landy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey John,

Thanks for replying. I had already made up a DB15HD to 3 BNC lead when using the component out from the DB15HD socket. You are right what a solder nightmare.

My issue was more for when I want to switch a couple of other Component sources through an AV receiver and leave the DVD player running DB15HD to DB15HD direct. Anyway I'm on the right track now.

Keep up the good work work with your convertors, your RGBS to Component convertor is especially helpful!

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Landy,
    try the connectors from RS, good quality (as is everything from RS, which I why I use them so often!). These you can solder the pins outside the 15pin HD connector, then you feed the pin into the HD connector. Much easier, you'll see what I mean when you see them. Their metal shells are also worth a look.

Thanks for your comments on the component converter. Very handy device!

All the best,

John.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Mr Land

I think we need a Scottish dealers forum!

Your MXE can take a YUV Component signal straight in on its VGA socket - it wont be a 'standard' cable but you should be able to go 15 pin to 15 pin from your Primare and then set the MXE up for Component in on Input 01 (15 Pin socket).

This way you can still use three of the BNC sockets on Input 02 for the YUV Component output from your AV receiver.

Also you can get an RGsB to RGBHV transcoder from the likes of In-Line and Extron - I may have one you can borrow to test out your connectivity with the projectors.

Best regards

Joe

PS Not that I'm ever allowed near a soldering iron but certainly our boys always use the multi pin connectors where you slide the pins into the shell of the housing after you've made the solder joint to the pins.