1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component out from a Toshiba SD220E to Projector ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FoxyMulder, Apr 20, 2005.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried connecting the component out to the panasonic ae700 projector and nothing nada, zip, no screen but when i connect via s-video and RGB Scart i get a picture, now i know the Toshiba isn't progressive but the manual states it can handle component i and i'm not getting a picture using the component can anyone say why ?

Also will S - Video introduce any unwanted side effects to the picture using this connection ?

Any help much appreciated as i really would like to use the component outputs ( i checked the onscreen display and all i see is video - s- video and RGB from the Toshiba menu, can't understand why component isn't listed and i don't have the instruction manual as Richer Sounds didn't supply it and i had to download it but have now lost it )

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I believe you can output two types of signal from component outputs...
    1. RGB
    2. "True" component (otherwise known as Y, Pb, Pr I think)

Certainly on my TX100 there's a menu option to tell the PJ which type of component signal to expect.

There may be similar on the 700.

Alternatively, some DVD players don't output S-vid and component at the same time. The fact that you are getting S-vid may suggest you need to flip the DVD to component output.

There's no problem using s-vid, other than it's usually lower quality than component.

..PJ :)

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks i'll dig around further its probably some little thing i'm missing.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    You can usually only ouput component if you disable RGB on some decks so go into the menu and tell the scart to output s or composite video.

Also, have you made sure you select the component input on you 700?

Pete :)

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks for advice i will try that, i am pleased with my projector but i find around 80 inches best for picture quality ( give or take 5 inches ) when i go to 106 inches i can see too many faults with the dvd films and sooooo much edge enhancement is visible, i do set it to component on the projector but when setting output as RGB i haven't been getting a picture so will try again by setting to S-Video and Composite ( must say The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake has one of the better pictures so far that i have tested in my projector and unfortunately for me one of my favourite films Cuthroat Island Japanese DTS version is riddled with edge enhancement but its ok at 60 inch screen size )

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    For PQ I still recommend Swordfish. I am yet to see a better transfer.

I concur EE is the bane of DVD. Why oh why do they do it ??!???!?!?!

Pete.

7. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Hi Foxy you have to select video on the dvd player to display the component feed :thumbsup:

Adrenochrome.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Any luck enabling component yet Foxy?

I bloody hope so!

Pete.

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All working now and beautiful images, only trouble now is that the PC Input won't accept my PC it starts up and i see the windows startup screen but then it reverts to a blue screen tssssk i have my PC set to 1280 x 1024 i'm going to try changing the resolution to 800 x 600 then reconnecting it.

I have noticed that most films work well at 80 inch screen size but some like Return of the King are amazing and look very good at 106 inch size, Pearl Harbor ( 4 disc directors cut - region 1 ) is another that looks great at 106inch, most films have too much edge enhancement or lack of detail due to filtering so i lower to around 80inch and it looks great.

I tried my X Box Console, Buffy plays great in widescreen so then i pop in Dead or Alive 3, distorted picture and some black thick lines so i try 4:3 mode both on X Box and Projector, still distorted, i wonder if the PAL 60 setting which i set to on affects this ? any X Box owners comment as Dead or Alive 3 looks amazing on the big screen but its all distorted.

I also tried conventional tv, last nights showing of Panther switched to Wide mode and recognised the widescreen input signal, it looked pretty good on the big screen as did the snooker, i'm very impressed.

I couldnt hang the Beamax frame on my wall because part of the wall contains some sort of tiles under the walls, 2 masonry drill parts bust, i went to the shop and was gonna just paint it matt white then decided to just cut the 106 inch screen out of the beamax metal frame and hook it on the wall and thus avoid the huge weight of the frame, i pinned it all around and hey presto it worked, Godzilla Superbit is another film that looks amazing as does Spiderman 2 Superbit, Tombstone on the other hand is full of edge enhancement and halos, what a pity as its one of my favourite westerns, going to watch Blade:Trinity later.

I will print some pictures of my screen and speaker set up soon and try and capture an image on the projector, in the meantime thanks everyone for help and great advice :)

11. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Amazing.... its a tosh 220 I have running via components to a ae700 and I couldnt get a picture also!!

I forgot to change the dvd player settings also.. and who sorted it... Adrenochrome!! :rotfl: :smashin:

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Me too :D :hiya:

Pete.

13. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: