1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component or vga? More questions....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Cardiff Irons, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to this forum I have totally neglected my work for at least three weeks but, on the plus side, I'm very near to taking the plunge. As usual, more questions though.

My main viewing is Sky+, I have a cheap DVD and will consider getting a DVD recorder (again probably cheap) quite soon. I'm looking at either the Panny or NEC screens (waiting for hornydragon's feedback later this week). I currently have a Sony surround sound system (few years old) to which my Sky+ is linked (DVD is connected to the Sky+ box and it all feeds into my TV via one scart).

So....

1. As a first option, I am considering getting a JS converter and using it to connect the scart to either component or VGA (for the Panny the former would require an input board).

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in quality between using the component or VGA input?

2. I may consider upgrading audio at a later stage. Some options I have are (please correct me if I'm wrong):

a) Get a Pioneer 402 (or 502) receiver and plug scarts into the back of it. One scart out of amp to VGA of plasma (via converter).
    b) Get a more traditional amp and feed component cables to amp (Sky+ would need a converter), then connect component out of amp to plasma.

I was originally considering option a), but it seems that with the more traditional amp you get a bit more for your money. Anyone have any advice on this?

As ever, really appreciate any thoughts/feedback.

Cheers.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a simple easy to use a very neat system and set-up one cable up wall etc some find the JS RGB>VGA to be red heavy......
    b more money more complex better results
    where are you? (i am guessing cardiff.....but more exactly....)

3. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks hornydragon. I'm in Radyr mate - why you ask, are you from around this way?

In your response to a), are you suggesting that connecting everything to the panel via component might be a slightly better option than using the vga?

When you say b) is more expensive, is that primarily because of the cabling? I ask because there seem to be some pretty well specced amps similar in price to the 402 (and certainly cheaper than the 502).

Cheers.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The VGA gives the best result of the JS Tech boxes. As HD says, it's what you want rather that what is "best". Bear in mind that JS boxes only convert RGB signals however, not s-video or composite (as would be found on VCRs and games consoles without additional RGB scart accessories)

However, I would've thought it would only be red heavy if the source component was outputting a red heavy signal, afaik the box does not alter the colour at all. To some the image overall may seem a bit over strong compared to their previous setup, but only because the previous setup had been limiting the image in some way. The JS box passes a totally pure and unadulterated RGB signal. Besides if red heavy, adjust as appropriate using your displays settings.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    YES
    not really but is an extra £60+ for component card.....RGB>VGA and RGB>YUV are very similar price.......
    402 is £200 ish 502 is £300 ish IIRC
    if you go up to £500 you gets amps with video conversion (sky/cable set top boxes are where this is difficul) you either use scart or drop scart and S-video/componet and a converting AMP ideal with Sky+ some other boxes FV etc but Cable (ntl) is RGB scart or composite so becomes more tricky.......

6. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HD. How close are you (actually, best not tell me, I'll be knocking on your door asking for more advice)? :laugh:

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but the Pioneer VSX-D714-S appears to show component in for DVD and TV/satellite and a component out (presumably to panel). Cost £209.95.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8414&taxonomy_id=62-98

AS for video conversion from Sky+, could you not use the JS converter to change scart to component and then feed into the amp?

I fear I may be running before I've learnt to walk here!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes you can use a 714 and JS box to convert RGB>YUV........ but thats all your inpouts used up (714 supports S-video swicthing too so that a panel and a dual slot board will work fine mate)

8. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great, thanks HD. It looks like I'm beginning to get the hang of this!

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you are indeed mate...........

10. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD, just noticed in your reply #7 that you mentioned dual slot board. Presumably that's the video card that comes with the (second) bundle thus:

http://www.shootandshow.com/pana-th-42pwd6.htm

NEC I think comes with a component input.

Now, hurry up and get this plasma fest test thingy done, so I know what to buy!!!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panasonic TY-42TM6Y Component, Composite, S-video videoboard
    yes but note it is RGBHV or Component AND S-video or composite, so not componet S-video and composite all at the same time...... YES NEC comes with a whole load of inputs.....WATCH this (well another) SPACE

12. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - so what you were suggesting as an option was to run component from the amp to the panel BUT also have option to use S-video input from amp as well?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes (PS2 Xbox etc can use S-video) so at least you can connect other devices (Camcorder etc) if needed.
    Are you wall mounting?

PS i sent you a PM....

14. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm looking to wall mount it (which creates a whole set of additional questions).

When did you send a PM? Last one I got from you was 3.17pm - did you send anything after that (nothing received this end)?

Cheers.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PM was sent 3.48 mate check again (might not have got a pop up) click the private message logo top right, on top Title Bar.

nah easy enough but if you are burying cables need to run a few extras just incase....