Component or Upscaleing which one is the best

5timeswinners

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Don't know a lot about this subject. Is there much difference between a dvd player that has component progressive scan output or the newer upscaling dvd's. I need to make a choice as i want to buy an all in one surround sound system. The Samsung Ht-p1200 is an upscaling player with surround sound but is £1000.00, whereas a good progressive scan player with surround sound is half the price. Is the price difference justified.
Thanks

5timeswinners said:
Is the price difference justified.
Thanks

NO! It may look worse.

Upscaling is largely hype, wait 'til true HD gets here and spend your money on that...PJ

Fluffy-Bunny said:
Can upscaling via 720P HDMI ever look better than 480P component then?

If you get a DVD player who's scaler is better than the scaler in the display then theoretically yes.

What bugs me most about upscalers is the hype that you are somehow getting more information/definition for your money - all you are doing is shifting the work from the display to the player...PJ

PJTX100 said:
If you get a DVD player who's scaler is better than the scaler in the display then theoretically yes.

What bugs me most about upscalers is the hype that you are somehow getting more information/definition for your money - all you are doing is shifting the work from the display to the player...PJ
I wouldn't disagree with anything PJTX100 has said above. I would add though that the end result can depend upon what your display is happiest being fed.

My Z3 projector handles a component signal poorly (IMHO). It much prefers the HDMI signal from my Sammy HD850 player.

I'm not saying the Sammy 850 is the best DVD player in the world but matched with my Z3 the end result is nothing short of stunning :clap:

If you can try before you buy, or demo the DVD player in a shop using your TV I'd recommend it.

Hope I've made my point well :lesson:

dmjohnson123 said:
If you can try before you buy, or demo the DVD player in a shop using your TV I'd recommend it.

Hope I've made my point well :lesson:

Yes, your point is very valid. :thumbsup:

I'm not saying that upscaling in the DVD player will never produce good images, I'm only saying don't be surprised if things aren't quite as good as you hoped for. The Z3 does seem to be particularly suitable for upscalers.

That said I think the Oppo does a fine job too and that is my player of choice using its inbuilt scaler. I just want people to know the facts rather than the hype...PJ

What are the chances of my Panasonic S97 doing a good job of upscaling on a AE700 or a AE900 say for instance?

Fluffy-Bunny said:
What are the chances of my Panasonic S97 doing a good job of upscaling on a AE700 or a AE900 say for instance?

S97 has a good reputation. If it looks better at 720p then great, if not revert back to 576/480 and put it down to experience. Even at 576/480 the removal of D->A->D stages may make the expense seem worthwhile...PJ

PJTX100 said:

PJ, I completely agree. Displays & hi-res TV's have been doing this for a while now. Why is it so amazing that the DVD player is now doing it? They are using it to fool people they are getting some sort of new hi-def images from SD.

T.

Depends on the DVD player too, mid to high end DVD players also have other image processing trickery they apply to the upscaled image, the 720p upscaled image from my DV7600 is visibly better than that displayed at 576p and the Sagem upscaling it to 720p.

It all depends on how much you want to spend I guess. The likes of the Denon 3910/2910 and their 2.5K monster as well as the Marantz DV7600/DV9500 all give fabulous pictures.

I very much doubt the cheaper budget models have decent scalers built into them, hence many of them looking poor.

It goes back to the saying "You gets whats you pay for" ;)

Just my opinion of course :)

5timewinners

Both the DVD players you are considering offer Progressive Scan processing on Component 'YUV' video Outputs - one with Video Up-conversion and one not; if that was the only difference between the two systems then it would be relatively simple to view them side by side with your chosen Display and decide if the Up-conversion was worth paying extra for or not.

I'm guessing that in an 'all-in-one' system retailing at 1k the Video Up-conversion will be fairly rudimentary and on its own would not justify a +£500 spend over the other system you are considering; there must be more differences in the two systems!

Best regards

Joe

PS You don't say what TV/Display you have and if it can take 'advantage' of the Video Up-conversion or not :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom