1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component or Svideo?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bleach, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've got a Sony plasma Tv whish is running from my Dennon amp via Svideo, my DVD and Sky+ are feeding the amp through Svideo also.
    Anyway I'm thinking of changing it all (Expect Sky+ at the mo) to component (because everyone keeps telling me to do so!) the only problem I have is that it'll be a lot of hastle for me to do, ie. removing skirting boards not to mention the price and reworking the cables into the wall for the invisible look. My main question I suppose then is, is it worth doing? Just how much improvement will I get?
    Thanks in advance,
    Col

2. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know this is stating the bleeding obvious, but it really does depend on your own impressions. Svideo is usually "softer" and some people actually prefer it to YPrPb. Why not just try a component connection with unhidden cable to see what you think?

3. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Redrose,
    I was thinking of doing just that. Because my Sony accepts BNC I'll have to get the phono in one end and BNC from the other cable, I've seen them sold singular at Lektropacks, and might buy 3 cheap ones just to test it out. This cable will then be redundant if I decide to go ahead and fork out £80 on a 'real' one, it's just wether or not it's worth the hastle or not really. But like you say it's going to be a case or try it and see.

4. ShaggyDragon

ShaggyDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to try the same thing to see if I prefer Sky + SVideo or component. I'm in the same boat - I don't want to fork out on a lead that I'll use for about 10 mins. If I can get the pin out of a scart to RGB RCA I'll probably knock a lead up and test it.

We need a lead lending library ;)

Andy.

5. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here ya go

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/vga2rgb/scart.html

I used this myself today and made a scart to RGB phono (RCA) lead. The sync pulse goes into the composite video input. I don't know about the Sony, but the Panasonic can be configured for RGB sync in 3 different ways: on video, on green or on H+V. The sky box is rigged up for sync on video. I know because I rang Pace recently and talked to a very helpful chap in their hardware design team.
    I'm going to play about with syncing on green in order to free up the composite/svideo port for my DVD player (until I get a component-out player).

BTW, your post asks about Svideo vs. component. Be aware that RGB is not the same as component. RGB is just that, red green and blue "gun" control (although there are no guns on a plasma, they are "impersonated" by the screen drivers). Component is luminace and 2 chrominance signals, and is very often confused with RGB. HiFi dealers not knowing what they're on about doesn't help either.

6. ShaggyDragon

ShaggyDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, I'll make one up tomorrow night and give it a try.

Yup, I thought there was a difference, but I believe that RGB is gonna be a closer match to what I can expect JS's Scart RGB to component conversion to look like.

BTW, how did you like RGB vs SVideo?

Thanks again, Andy.