1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component or separate cables - help needed please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ianpbryan, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ianpbryan

ianpbryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered a fine combination of hardware according to the advice of my AV friends... Philips 42PF9986 + Denon 3806 + KEF 5005 + Denon reference DVD... already have a Sky digi box..

I asked the supplier whether to use a component connection from the amp to the screen and he said:.

"The TV could indeed be run by one three core component lead from the amp, with everything else plugged into the amp as a sort of 'visual switching hub'. However, this would be a bit of a shame if your TV has a DVI input that would accept the Denon's excellent pure digital visual output. Likewise, if the TV has an RGB scart input, the Sky box would also look better running through scart RGB direct to TV. If you want a compromise, run the Sky's RGB output into a component converter (£105) then run it into the amp through a component lead. Run the DVD into the amp via component too, then run just one component lead on to the TV"

I do not know how to strike a balance here.. does any one have a view about whether I should go for a single connection or multiple cables on the basis the 'quality' will be better?

Many thanks, Ian :lease:

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    The quality of using DVI from your DVD player direct to your screen will be better than converting to component and then switching through the amp.
    Likewise you won't gain any quality by converting RGB over SCART to component, feeding it through the amp and into the screen. The only reason to do that is if the TV won't accept an RGB SCART input directly.

3. ianpbryan

ianpbryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the clarification.
    Regards, Ian :)