1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component or s-video???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by activeservo, Feb 28, 2003.

1. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 29in with composite ,s-video and component video inputs .Up until now I have been using the best video hook up {component},the other day I decided to get out an old s-video cable that was stashed in the wardrobe, and basically the picture was greatly improved.Nicer colour definition, cleaner looking picture all round,it just had a more natural look about it.So now the component cable{Monster}is in the wardrobe and the s-video{vivanco} has taken it's place.Anyone experienced the same or any views on the subject would be appreciated.:smoke:

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    look up

it is a sticky situation

personally I prefer component

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    It is perfectly feasable that the digital processing in the set is cheap and needs Y/C to operate. In that case it will take an incoming component signal and down convert it to s-video (y/c) for processing. This conversion may be implimented badly and could cause the s-video direct to look better. I have come across this on another manufacturers devices.

So as you have found out you should not assume that the highest quality signal in will result in highest quality image displayed on your TV. It should in theory but this is life........

Gordon

4. activeservo

activeservo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could be right there Gordon,it's not that the picture {using the component input} was bad or anything ,au contraire it was very acceptable,but there seemed to be more video noise than the s-video hook up.It could well be that the comb filter in the t.v is pretty naff,I don't know,but the s-video turned out a much sharper ,cleaner image overall.Like you said that highest quality input doesn't neccessarily give the better image.It's probably a matter of taste.I have some friends with high end T.V's, and they prefer the overall image produced by s-video as opposed to the component.It's funny that the component cable made by "Monster" which cost me around £70 is sitting in the wardrobe, and the cheap £7.00 s-video cable is the one that is giving me the better picture;but it doesn't seem like it's a cable issue, more of a conversion signal issue.Anyway the main thing is that I'm happy now .Thanks Gordon for your input. :smoke: P.S-What do you think of the 'Panasonic XV-10 DVD PLAYER?????:smashin: