Component or RGB

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bobman, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have just purchased a HD matrix switch. I'll be connecting a Sky HD box to it - no problem there - and a Sky+ box. I need to know what format the output from the Sky+ box is; I'm specifically talking about the scart and s-video ports.

The switch will take component video, HDMI and DVI inputs, but I need to know if the Sky+ box outputs component or RGB to get the proper convertor. I would also be grateful for any suggestions regarding a converter.

The Sky+ box is an Amstrad - model A21B029

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    RGB via Scart (selectable in the Sky+ Picture menu) and a separate S-Video out.

3. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks JayCee

Any chance you could elaborate a little? I can see on the Sky+ menu that I can change output from PAL to RGB - does this refer to the scart port?

If it does and I now have RGB output - what do I use to change to component. I was looking at this scart to component connector:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/YUV-RGB-SCART.html?id=nUF8v3Ui

Here's a quote from the page: "This adapter is bi-directional but will only work with a scart that supports component video. RGB and component are not the same and this adapter will not allow connection of an RGB signal to component."

What does the s-video port output? Do you think one of these would do the trick?

http://www.memory-express.co.uk/ind...deo to Component Adapter&rndstr=2006-1213-665

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again

4. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bump - I know it's Christmas, but my prezzie to myself will not be complete until I sort this. I now know that the Sky+ box outputs RGB on the scart. Is this the same with the s-video out?

If I need to buy a scart/RGB to component converter like the one in the link below to connect the Sky+ box to the switch, what do I need at the other end for the only CRT TV remaining in the house. It has scart and s-video in connections. In other words, I will be supplying it with component video from the switch - I'm really hoping it doesn't require another expensive converter.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/rgb-yuv-component-converter.html

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    OK back top basics what on earth are you trying to do? Why do you have a switch? what is going to be connected to what? RGB from sky+ box is RGBcvS from TV scart only S-video is output is Y/C only and VCR scart is Composite video CVBS only

6. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for responding Hornydragon

I have a pile of posts about what I'm doing. Unfortunately, I have very few replies to anything I post, leaving me to feel my way through this tricky area. I assume it is because most people on these forums have not attempted what I am currently doing.

Basically, I'm distributing AV around the home - a mixture of HD and SD. Without complicating things I will have a Sky HD box and a Sky+ box connected to a component/HDMI matrix switch. The problem I am currently addressing is connecting an SD device (Sky+ box) to this HD switch. Even without knowing this the original post is still valid. You have now spawned an additional question - what is Y/C?

When I started on this journey - and yes it is now a journey - I was totally confused. I basically wanted to centralise all my AV equipment. I soon found out that it would cost me around £1000 to distribute SD and £5000 for HD. I will have completed the task of distributing HD for around £1250. I will probably share my experiences later. For the most part this is due to the help/assistance of just two people; Joe Fernand from The Media Factory - a very knowledgeable chap who frequents these forums, and Jason from Video Storm who seems to know everything about this stuff. I hate bothering these guys too much - poor Joe has had around 15 emails from me, Jason probably more - so I though I would post here again.

So - if anyone is kind enough, could you have a look at my original post and let me have your suggestions?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    well what you are trying to do is near the impossible (not impossible but near) basically you need an RGBcvS converter to YUV component converter to make the scart ouput of the Sky+ box marry up with the component capabilities of the matrix. YEs another £70-£150 quid + cables so thats the answer to your original question

Other issues Sky+ and Sky HD use the same remote codes so pressing 101 on Sky+ for BCC can (depending on how your controllig the system change sky HD to 101 also (you need to think about control more than distribution) at the present time HDMI isnt necassary for HD distribution as HDCP hasnt been implemented. You need to make sure if it is your system is not useless in most cases full blown distibution isnt necassary ie you could happily distribute it all using SD.

8. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again Hornydragon

Problem solved. Jason has just emailed to assure me that the switch will handle RGB. I just need a scart to RCA breakout cable.

So far I have no problems with remote control. I am using a £20 Omni Link remote extender with TVLink eyes in each room. The system is using the RF infrastructure that I had and am keeping for redundancy.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the switch will handle RGBcvS? if so it must be a RGBHV (VGA unit) no issue there but if you sitck component (from DVD player etc) in as well as RGBcvS that where the fun begins the RF remote control will work but unless you can assign the IR controls then sky+ and Sky HD boxes will mirror each other (ie both will ch+ at the same time (in a centrally distributed system this makes the Sky+ pointless as you cant watch a different channel to the HD box)

You'll need a scart to 4 RCA "breakout" cable and you will need the same both ends unless the switch has a built in video converter (unlikely at lower end of price range)

10. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Again

The switch is the CRM84 from Video Storm.

After a lot of thinking and head scratching - helped by a few Budweisers - I think it's best to use some form of converter that will take the scart RGB and convert it to component; something like this maybe:

http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/acatalog/scart-to-stereo-audio--component-video-converter-1074.html

The 4 rooms with HD displays will then be able to switch between both Sky boxes with no conversion problems.

The one remaining CRT TV is the problem. Perhaps here I could use another converter doing the reverse of the one above so that this room can switch to any of the input devices or just leave the RF input to that room and limit it to just Sky+.

Where you thinking of any particular converter when you suggested it previously?

11. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Keene Electronics do RGB/Component converters that can be switched to do either way; more expensive than the one you're looking at but more versatile.

If the Sky+ box will output S-Video at the same time as RGB you could feed that through to the CRT. Or maybe get an inline SCART breakout adapter that will let you feed the (yellow) Composite signal to the CRT.

12. Bobman

Bobman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks andykn

That sounds like a plan. Ultimately, I would be happy enough if the room with the CRT just receives the Sky+ box - and s-video would be much better than RF.

I would also like to know if the Sky+ box outputs via the s-video port and the RGB scart at the same time. So if anyone knows the answer it would be appreciated.

I also looked at the Keen Electronics converter. I paid more attention to the cheaper one that I was looking at as it also carried audio. I still haven't made my mind up which one to go for - I will probably drop Joe Fernand an email as he has one listed.

13. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    It is a bit of a pain that the Keene one doesn't break the audio out from the SCART. You can get SCART connectors with a plug on one end and a socket on the other with L&R Audio and composite breakout.