1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component or rgb scart for better picture?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by JasetheJurist, Mar 3, 2005.

1. JasetheJurist

JasetheJurist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apologies is this has been answered elsewhere (i did search and couldn't find answer)
    I'm waiting for my kit to be delivered. I'm proposing to connect sky+ to the pio's media box via scart.
    I've read some comments on here about rgb to component converters. As a newbie I don't really understand yet (but looking forward to learning lots more) all of the advantages of one connection over the other.
    Can anyone advise if the scart connection is the way to go or if not any other suggestions.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The 'advantage' of component is that it can carry a progressive scan signal as well as interlaced (which is what scart carries).

In a comparison between interlaced RGB and interlaced Component you are unlikely to notice any major differences - however there are a number of displays out there that do strongly favour component (and likewise some that favour RGB).

Alot of people use RGB -> Component either because their displays do not have scart sockets or to allow an AVR (home cinema amp) to switch video sources as very few of these have scart sockets either.

Unless your TV loves component then I doubt you will notice any difference using a convertor

3. JasetheJurist

JasetheJurist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your comments.
    My plasma is a pioneer pdp 435 xde and amp is denon 2805. Does this alter anything. thanks in advance for your help (tv not arrived yet so apologies if jumping the gun - it's just that if component is better for this tv i'd sooner order the convertor now)

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The amp will allow component switching - which can be handy and some would consider reason enough to buy the convertor.

I do not have the same TV as yourself so cannot really comment. If you have a DVD player which allows component out and RGB scart it may be worth trying to run a sample of film through the player using one and then the other connection type and seeing if you can note a significant difference before buying the convertor (the one thing to remember is that some DVD players are simply better at using one format or the other).

I must admit that I have been intending to get a RGB->Component convertor for some time as my Panasonic TV is known to like component and having everything going through by AVR2805 would be convenient but I havent got round to getting one yet.

5. JasetheJurist

JasetheJurist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my dvd (denon 2910) does run out component and scart as well as hdmi ( will be using latter for direct connection to tv).
    i'll follow your suggestion and see which one gives a better picture before deciding whether to invest in a convertor.
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction and your help Astaroth.