Component or HDMI for Sky HD box?

Dextur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got 2 x HDMI's on my screen so I'm using those for 1080p output devices, PS3 etc, as Sky can only do 1080i apparently, I figured a decent component cable should be fine.

Just occurred to me perhaps I should check though, is there anybody who's done a side by side comparisom and feels HDMI would be superior for the SKY box?

you shouln't see much of a diffrence if any between componant or HDMI. of course componant includes another digital > analogue - analogue > digital ( for your display to display the picture) conversions.

I tried both and could see little difference but settled on component with an optical cable for sound via my amp.

I had a similar issue with my old 32" LCD which only had 1 HDMI input. I had HDMI for my PS3 and looked at using composit for the Sky but ended up getting a HDMI Switch which solved the problem. I noticed a bit of an improvement on my old 32" telly but on my new 40" LCD there doesn't seem to be much difference between the HDMI or Composit. Personally I'd say if you just want to connect Sky HD use the composit, if your looking at connecting more devices in the future you may want to consider a HDMI Switch and port everything trhrough that.

I had a similar issue with my old 32" LCD which only had 1 HDMI input. I had HDMI for my PS3 and looked at using composit for the Sky but ended up getting a HDMI Switch which solved the problem. I noticed a bit of an improvement on my old 32" telly but on my new 40" LCD there doesn't seem to be much difference between the HDMI or Composit. Personally I'd say if you just want to connect Sky HD use the composit, if your looking at connecting more devices in the future you may want to consider a HDMI Switch and port everything trhrough that.

I'm guessing you meant component here.

ok thx all, I've tried a "side by side" test here and I can't see bugger all difference between component or HDMI, either on upscaled images, true HD images or SD, so for now I'm gonna leave it as it is.

My ancient old Denon amp needs and upgrade soon so I'll get an HDMI switching amp and solve it that way in due course.

I dont think there is much difference between component and HDMI video input,
in fact I output the component to my projector (via receiver) and the HDMI direct to the Plasma.
I was playing with this last night and I can see no difference from either output to either display.

There is a difference between the 2.

Componant has a little more noise around the edges and is more colourful and a shade brighter and blurry than HDMI which is sharper however componant is more pleasing to the eye.

But i have to say you need to be anal to notice, if you cant see a diffrence COOL:D

Component is fine :smashin:

When i had my Pioneer 505 xde plasma with Sky-HD we were told to use component as there was a problem with the HDMI from Sky to the Pio and i could see no difference at all.

Dont know if Pioneer sorted that problem as i sold the Pio then went for the Fuji.

Ron

Possibly a daft question but do all Sky HD boxes have component outputs?
I was under the impression this was something that early boxes had and that later boxes had a HDMI connection only.

:confused:

Possibly a daft question but do all Sky HD boxes have component outputs?
I was under the impression this was something that early boxes had and that later boxes had a HDMI connection only.

:confused:

At the moment yes they have,could as you say change in the future though,something to do with films and licensing

My first box was one of the initial batch and my second was fitted just before xmas-i used the Comet deal for that to go in my sons room,both have dual outputs

Ron

Well that's handy to know as I am looking to get Sky HD in my new flat.
My present flat mate was refused Sky HD as he was told he had to have a telly with hdmi so that had me wondering about it's connectivity.

I am waiting on the 2008 Panny plasma range so would have to have the box connected via my Denon receiver to view on my PJ - which would be a workable temp solution.

My present flat mate was refused Sky HD as he was told he had to have a telly with hdmi so that had me wondering about it's connectivity.

He should have told him, why does the box have a component input installed.

BTW, my installer set the output to the S-Video instead of HDMI...:thumbsdow

The incompetence of the installers was quite outstounding..:mad:

Best bit is they won the award off Sky for Installer of the Year...:confused:

I agreee, hardly any difference

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom