1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Or Hdmi For 2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by crank, Sep 23, 2005.

1. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hi guys i am currently conecting my 2910 to my 42pv500 via a qed hdmi cable and i'm more than happy with the results. :rolleyes: Yet after reading that a lot of people still prefer component i am thinking of taking the plunge to see if this will give me any improvement in picture quality.I have wittled it down to the nordost silver screen,but before i splash the cash i was kinda hoping someone out there will have used both these connections on their denons and be able to tell me if there is any noticable picture improvements between the two.At the end of the day despite what a lot of people think of the denons i "LOVE" mine and just want to get the best out of it that i can :D I am quite new to all this AV lark so would really appreciate any input :smashin:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

Just bear in mind that if you connect via Component you won't be able to use any of the 2910's onboard scaling to 720p, 1080i etc. This only works via HDMI/DVI.

3. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 2910 too and I have my connected to my Hitachi 42pd5200 via component and DVI (which is essentially the same as HDMI).

After having the player for the last 7 months and to be honest, there isn't much difference between component and DVI if you are watching movies. However, you can see the difference if the player is displaying a test pattern which show many lines bunched up together either vertically or horizontally. Over componenet, there is some fuzziness as the lines becomes closer. Over DVI, the lines are solid.

But if you are watching a moview, I doubt you will see the difference.

All IMHO of course. :)

4. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: So i guess the xtra outlay for the component is'nt justifiable really,better off with the hdmi then,cheers guys :smashin:
    While ive got your attention limbk...what settings within the 2910 do you regard as giving the best results :lease:

5. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: Its getting kinda lonely in here......

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I have component & HDMI linked up to my pj. I tend to like component on older
    Disney animations. I find it gives perhaps a slightly warmer picture, which is good
    for old animations. However, so far, on modern stuff, I like HDMI, but you're only talking subtle differences.

T.

7. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am not sure about you, but I get a slight green tinge over DVI. The only adjustment I make on the 2910 is to reduce the green hue. I leave the rest of the settings alone. Far too complicated for me!

8. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Cheers guys!!! :smashin:

9. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    HDMI should provide a better image on larger displays and PJ beacuse of the scaling, unless you have some real expensive bit of kit or external scaler that can do the job better then the 2910.

In the end its down to expermenting and personal preference.

10. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im using HDMI on my 37PV500. I did use component until two weeks ago. I love the HDMI, looks a bit smoother, and the green-ish issue is easy to get over, though theres no green tint at 480/576 res. :confused:

I am wondering what the best upscale is for it. Im using 720p at the moment, but is the 1080i any good? Ive tried both and cant see much difference to be honest.

Anyone got any idea if 1080i is better?

Cheers,
    John

11. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I generally use 720p on 3910, but I found on "Attack of the Clones", which had a bit of picture noise, it disappeared on 1080i!

I get greenish tinge on mine also, so jus reduced green in RGB. Funny this, I wonder why?

12. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just put the Hue up 1 click on the players settings. Sorted :thumbsup:

Still cant see much difference still between 720p & 1080i. Maybe its me. :rolleyes:

13. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From what I understand is that screen/projector is detecting a HD input and therefore is using a HD colourspace when in fact it is still a SD input (although upscaled to 720/1080) and the correct colourspace should be SD. It is this mismatch of the colorspace that creates this green tinge. It seems that the mismatch cannot be corrected unless your screen/projector can force the right colourspace to be used.

For more technical details see the discussion in this forum:-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=486428

14. Will35

Will35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using my 2910 with a Pioneer 435, and have to say that the difference between 720 & 1080 is minimal to say the least. It's fairly new, and am still playing around with settings etc. :)

Basically the difference between the two is that:

720P consists of an image comprised of 1280 lines horizontally by 720 lines vertically. Therefore the whole image is shown in a single frame (progressively)

1080i is measured 1920x1080 lines and is displayed as two fields that are interlaced. So there's more detail with 1080, but tends to not be as smooth*.

Cheers
    Will

* Am open to corrections from technophiles!! ;)

15. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd say you pretty much covered it but i have some additions.

It depends what the res of your panel is, if its 720 then if you set it higher to 1080 then your display has to down scale to get it on the screen. Don't forget some displays have their own deinterlacing which can be as good as the players so this will help.

If you have a 1080 display then 1080 on the player should give a more detailed picture with possible flicker between lines. 720 should have less flicker but also less detail.

16. Will35

Will35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the two last nite whilst watching Sin City. To be honest, there was nearly too much detail with 1080!!! Particularly on the close up of the faces!!

Warts 'n all, as they say! :D

17. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI/HDMI tends to show more details in dark/blacks than just a 'haze' of darkness. Have seen the difference both on projector & plasma. So for both players, Denon 3910 & A1XV, the DVI wins hands over component. Demo-ed discs were Robbie Williams concert & Finding Nemo.