Component ok over 25 meters?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MSW, Apr 29, 2007.

1. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Does anyone know if, using 2 x 10 meter v.good quality cables, it is possible to tranfer a HD Signal over 20 meters. I only have one 10mtr cable at the moment and, thought it worth checking before buying another and a fem - fem adaptor.

Not using HDMi as I understand 1o mtr is max

Many thanks for any help

2. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello marksimonwright

Most Consumer Source devices are not designed to drive a 20m to 25m 'Component' signal run - with the correct cable you can get away with it without reverting to signal Amplifiers; though with two cables + a passive 'joiner' your very likely to see some signal degradation over the Analogue run.

HDMI doesn't have a Max recommended signal run - though 10m is a good place to stop with lots of the cables that are on the market.

It is possible to source 20m and 25m HDMI cables that will deliver everything up to and including 1080p - thought they can be relatively expensive; see http://www.bettercables.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=29

As Lawrenzini says you can use an HDMI signal extender to deliver your signal over multiple short cables - the HDMI Extender has to go at the Display end of the cable or cables and you don't want the Input or Output cable to/from the Extender to be longer than 15m.

Whilst most HDMI Extenders can work using the 5v rail on the HDMI cable its best to assume you will use them with an external Power Supply for consistent results; see http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI extender.htm

Using an HDMI Extender works in most systems but some systems do refuse to work with them in-circuit so be prepared for a bit of messing about if something in your system proves reluctant to work with it in-circuit.

Joe

4. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Many many thanks for the replies.

Given that my aim was to transfer Sky HD to a third TV, I'll go down the S-Video or Composite route and forget the HD bit