1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component leads question for Viera & Plasma owners.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bluenose1878, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Bluenose1878

Bluenose1878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual with the Viera is crap, the translation is terrible and the information in it is worse. I've just bought an RGB component lead to connect my dvd to the plasma but on the diagram in the manual it shows a scart connected as well as the component lead. I've connected the compenent leads but havn't got a picture so do i need a scart cable as well?? If i do then whats the point of the compenent cable??? Thanks....

2. DNO

DNO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The scart lead is to carry Audio only. You set the Veira AV input to AV4C or EC4C (something like that cannot remember exactly) where the C is for component. The video signal will be picked up through the component leads and the audio through the Scart - hope that helps

3. DNO

DNO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    make sure the scart is connected to the AV4 scart input as well

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Bluenose1878

What's an RGB Component lead?

Whilst RGB (like S-Video and YUV) is a Component signal its not Compatible or Interchangeable with any of the other signals without active processing.

I'd guess you require a 3RCA to 3RCA cable to connect your DVD player to your PlasmaTV using the YUV Component Inputs and Outputs.

If your cable has a SCART socket on one end its useless unless its actively converting RGB(+Composite sync) to YUV.

If you do have a 3RCA to 3RCA cable installed you'll need to retain a SCART Interconnect so you can 'see' your DVD player via Composite video to enable you to go into the players set-up menu and actually switch YUV On.

Once you've set the DVD player to Output YUV you can then remove the SCART cable.

Best regards

Joe

5. Bluenose1878

Bluenose1878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, i've now managed to get a picture on my screen.

6. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little late replying here, but the rule of thumb about connecting Component RGB is like connecting S-Video, it's a video connection only. With S-Video you usually connect a couple of phono leads to get the sound, but with component you use a SCART lead instead. This is why the manuals have to show both cables.

7. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem.

Make sure you have selected the AV4C input on the TV - there are a few AV4 inputs (e.g. AV4S) to toggle between so please make sure it's the right one.

You if you disconnect the scart lead you should still see the picture - if you haven't got AV4C selected then you will lose the picture!

You also need to enable progressive scan on your DVD player to make the best use of the component video mode.

You're right about the manual.