Component leads for dummies

simonx

Novice Member
So component leads are the read/yellow/white cables - there endeth my knowledge of the subject.

Could someone please explain in what all the brouhaha is about?

Keep it simple for me please! :rolleyes:

snow-munki

So component leads are the read/yellow/white cables - there endeth my knowledge of the subject.

Could someone please explain in what all the brouhaha is about?

Keep it simple for me please! :rolleyes:

composite is red white yellow

component is green blue red ( yellow and white for sound )

basically component gives a better picture quality but you will need a compatible TV set, pretty much all LCD's will have them

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
composite is red white yellow

component is green blue red ( yellow and white for sound )

basically component gives a better picture quality but you will need a compatible TV set, pretty much all LCD's will have them
red and white for sound :p

simonx

Novice Member
See what I mean! :oops:

I have a Sony Bravia LCD telly by the way, so what leads should I be looking to get?

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
if your tv has component input then get the official component cables

you can see if it has component input by looking for video plug holes (or phono inputs) of the green and blue type. if you can see them then your tv supports component.

a component cable has 5 cables attached

Red, Green and Blue for video
then two more which are red and white for audio

unfortunately there are two reds that look exactly the same, this is unavoidable but if you chase them down the cable it should be paired next to the white one for audio, and next to green and blue for the video

simonx

Novice Member
Thanks guys :smashin: - and would I be right to assume that the Nintendo component leads are rathe rhard to get hold of?

cochese

Novice Member
is there an actual known release date for the official nintendo component leads and who will be stocking them?

SeaneyC

Has anyone actually compared different component leads yet? I'm intrigued to know if the Ninty ones are actually any good, because to be honest they look a bit pants....

snow-munki

yeah well you know what i meant :p

oh do you guys find the green and blue leads VERY similar when reaching behind the Tv in the dark.. grr... whenever i have to plug them in, have to get a torch out.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom