Component lead through AV receiver?

cottlad

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm an amp n00b but thanks to the help on here i'm nearly set up. I've just bought a YAMAHA RXV367 receiver Which arrives Thursday. I'm just chasing in cables for it.
I see that there are component ports on the back so should i plug the wii into this? Or should i just go straight from wii to TV? The lead i have is a single cable with 5 fingers on the end. Therefore i have a problem leading the phonos to the amp. Am a bit stuck tbh.
If i plug all 5 into amp, how does the TV get info? Would i need another component cable amp-TV?

If so, i presume the only advantage of going through amp would be sound quality? I only have 2.1 anyway and wouldn't i get speaker sound from the TV-amp separate phono leads?

Also, i hear talk of optical cabling? I Don't want to finish plastering and find i need more cables...... i did this once already :) Do i need to consider this?

So my current setup =

Bluray to amp (hdmi)
Sky HD to amp (hdmi)
wii to ????? (component)

Amp to TV (hdmi)
Amp to Speakers (speaker cable)

I was also told i needed phono?... red/white cable to go from TV to amp????? Am not sure what this is for? Isn't all audio taken care of through the hdmi/component leads? Was i sold something useless (wouldn't be the 1st time :) )

Cheers for any help.

You need to connect the SkyHD box to the reciever using an optical cable (does not send 5.1 sound via the HDMI).
If you connect the Wii to the reciever then you need a component cable from the reciever to the TV.
Not sure what TV you have but if it does not have 1.4 HDMI and you want to use the internal tuner in the TV then you will need another audio cable from the TV to the reciever. The HDMI you have connected at the moment is just taking video from the reciever to the Tv and will not do audio back to the reciever. If you will nto be using the internal tuner i.e. only using Sky then there is no need to connect the TV to the reciever with an audio cable.

I'm an amp n00b but thanks to the help on here i'm nearly set up. I've just bought a YAMAHA RXV367 receiver Which arrives Thursday. I'm just chasing in cables for it.
I see that there are component ports on the back so should i plug the wii into this? Or should i just go straight from wii to TV? The lead i have is a single cable with 5 fingers on the end. Therefore i have a problem leading the phonos to the amp. Am a bit stuck tbh.
If i plug all 5 into amp, how does the TV get info? Would i need another component cable amp-TV?

If so, i presume the only advantage of going through amp would be sound quality? I only have 2.1 anyway and wouldn't i get speaker sound from the TV-amp separate phono leads?

There is no advantage in connecting the wii's component output to the receiver unless you have another component video source. If you need to extend the audio or video, you can buy RCA couplers and use a phono cable (or component video) to extend the cable. Alternatively you could just connect an audio cable from the TV to the receiver to cover the TV tuner and wii.

If you connect all 5 RCA's (video and audio) from the wii via the receiver you will need another component video (green/blue/red) cable to carry the video to the TV.

Also, i hear talk of optical cabling? I Don't want to finish plastering and find i need more cables...... i did this once already :) Do i need to consider this?

So my current setup =

Bluray to amp (hdmi)
Sky HD to amp (hdmi) You will also need optical or digi-coax to the receiver to give you DD5.1 audio as Sky+HD only outputs stereo over HDMI.
wii to ????? (component) I would just go straight to the TV.

Amp to TV (hdmi)
Amp to Speakers (speaker cable)

I was also told i needed phono?... red/white cable to go from TV to amp????? Am not sure what this is for? Isn't all audio taken care of through the hdmi/component leads? Was i sold something useless (wouldn't be the 1st time :) )

Cheers for any help.

As I said, you could run an audio cable from the TV to the receiver to cover the wii if the wii's audio and video input is connected straight to the TV. Your TV might have optical output but without further information, we can't answer.

Make sure you run the cables in conduit and run the power cable separately. It's a good idea to fit brush faceplates at entry/exit points and leave plenty of room so that you can pull other cables through in the future should you need to run another cable or replace a defective one. It pays to run as many cables as you may need in the future and some people run cat6 for future use and you can also use them to pull other cables through.

Cheers again PSM. So i do still need my component cable chasing in. That's good as it clipped in :) So i just need another component cable with 'fingers' on both ends from Wii to receiver?
At this time i don't intend using the TV's internal tuner. Everything will come from Sky/Bluray/Wii. I guess therefore i don't need to red/white phono cables at all? Or will this cable give me audio through external speakers from my wii if i don't go down the 2 x component lead route?
Am looking for a reason to use the as ive spent this afternoon swearing and chasing the 3m into a wall.

I'm guessing yr going to say that the 2 x component leads is the best option and is all that's needed? If so, bugger :( lol. I guess i could try cleaning and repackaging the 3m phono cable.

As i don't have 5.1 i guess i don't need optical? I can add this at a later date if/when i go 5.1+ right?
Sorry if i'm repeating what you said but i just wanna be 100% certain before i get the hammer/bolster out again.

Thanks again for yr help. I'd still be at stage 1 otherwise.

Ah ok Dave.... thanks.... so my current setup is fine? That is wii to TV, then red/white audio from TV to receiver? If so, i hereby sigh with relief as jobs done and i just need said receiver to arrive :)
Optical can be added later whenever i get 5.1. That doesn't need chasing though as amp is with other appliances.
It's only the TV cables that are being chased.

The power lead is separate but the others are clipped in together without conduit :/ The room was recently replastered so there's quite a thick depth of plaster (about 40mm.) I've therefore just neatly clipped in 2 x HDMI, 1 x audio (red/white), 2 x speaker cables, and the wii component cable. Was just going to bonding + skim over that to blend with other plaster. Is conduit really necessary? I absolutely don't plan to alter this setup anytime soon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom