1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component into VGA on PW6 will not work.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mrkipling, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mrkipling

mrkipling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,

After spending a year using the wealth of information on this forum, yesterday my shiny new PW6 arrived. What a stunning piece of kit. It makes my old 32 incher look medievil!

However I have a problem. Sky through the scart board works really well but I can't get a glimmer out of the VGA socket. My DVD player is a Toshiba SD 220 with component out, I have set the DVD to "video" & "S video" (tried the both) as the instruction book states. The PW6 menu I have set to "component" for the PC input & nothing. Just a blank screen with the no signal message.

Am I missing something? Is the Tosh DVD incompatible with the VGA input? What is the best way to check the system & diagnose the problem (I will talk to the dealer today but was hoping it might be a simple fix)

I have the afternoon off to play with the system today, in the meantime I tried the DVD through the scart board & was blown away by the picture.

Thanks in advance.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The good news is you aint seen nothing yet then. You have the correct lead I take it, a 3 phono to 15 pin? And you've connected to the red, blue and green phonos on the tosh DVD. You have to set the scart to 'video' or composite to enable the component video output, then you should see the picture immediately. There used to be a spot of trouble with tosh DVD players and PW5's but you should get a signal, just it might not be brilliant. The new players might have cured this, I have a client with a 510 going component via VGA on a 6 series, in fact, and they are fine.

3. mrkipling

mrkipling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply,

I have just hooked up a laptop to the VGA port & guess what?
    No signal. It might be serious :( I will let you know the outcome.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You do know you have to enable VGA output from the laptop? Right click on desktop, left click properties, settings tab, click 'multiple monitors', monitor 2 and 'extend desktop onto this monitor is easiest, just for a quick check. I find it extremely unlikely you'd find a faulty VGA input if scart works. More likely the laptop is bust!!

5. mrkipling

mrkipling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will double check it, but the laptop ran my TFT montor with no problem this afternoon just after failing to wake up the plasma. The suppliers are baffled at the moment as well.

6. mrkipling

mrkipling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tried it again, nothing, just the "no signal" script in the top right corner. At least i can still use through scart it at the moment & see what they say tomorrow.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's never happened to me either, and I must have installed 4-500 panasonic screens of various series.

8. mrkipling

mrkipling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. nwunda

nwunda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought the same TV too, but I am having trouble. I didn't buy the SCART terminal board cos I wantedto save the 100 quid. I bought a Component -> Vga cable, and I am trying to connect my DVD player to the plasma screen that way. The DVD player is outputting in Progressive scan, but the image is green. It has a green hue effect to it.

I rang the place where I bought the cable from, and they said that it could be because of the Plasma screen not being able to use the Sync signal (it's usually sent in the green wire) as it may need it in a seperate wire.

May just buy the scart board afterall, but I really want the component cable as the picture will be improved significantly.

Has anyone had the same problem?
    It's bloody annoying me.
    I rang pansonic and they will be contacting me soon.
    The DVD is DAVS550

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    nwunda, there's nothing wrong with yours. Get your green picture, then press 'setup' on the screen remote. Change the top box from 'RGB' to 'component' and enjoy the show.

11. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    It might not be working because your DVD player doesnt output progressive on the component output only interlaced. try conecting your laptop to the tv with the power of the tv and the laptop off, turn the tv on and put it on the VGA channel, then turn your laptop on and see if the boot screen comes up on the tv

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    As far as i was aware the VGA input would accept intelaced Video...... in either Y,Pb,Pr or RGBHV I may be wrong tho...

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Yeah it does, I plugged my laptop into my PW6 last night and hit interlaced with powerstrip and it worked fine.