1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Input's only on Tosh?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nelthel, Feb 20, 2003.

1. nelthel

nelthel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After much agonising I've come to the conclusion that as much as I want a 36" Widescreen it's overkill and would look odd in the room.

So other than the 32" Tosh Strata are there any other TV's sub £1,000 with component inputs anyone would recommend.

Would be a shame not to be able to use the component output on my SD220E when it was one of the many reasons for choosing it as a DVD player.

Sound ability isn't an issue, that's what the SR5300 with 6.1 is for. No need for a digital tuner, the Nokia 221T will take care of that. Have a 3->1 Scart adapter which quite happily auto-switches with my current 25" Sony, so only 1 RGB input isn't a problem.

Will be connecting an XBox, Nokia 221T Freeview box, VCR, PS2 and SD220E (ideally using it's component video out)

Many thanks.

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, using component on a 32" TV won't look all that much better than RGB through the SCART input.

And you won't get any widescreen switching on component I don't think.

I have tried feeding both kinds of signals to my 42" rear projection set and the difference is not that great - component gives a darker. slightly more saturated picture, but not any better than RGB...

So I have gone back to RGB.

3. nelthel

nelthel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The auto switching I don't see as being an issue as I only have a couple of DVD's which aren't widescreen (16:9 or 2.35:1) So other than freeing up a Scart I'll have nothing visible to gain. That's makes the choice of TV's a bit wider then.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    when friends bring around players with RGB SCART and component, they always go for the latter.

5. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    TBH, a friend has never come round to my house with a dvd player?!:laugh:

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have two DVD players running - one has RGB and one has component and watching movies like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, I'm not sure I still wouldn't choose RGB.

But clearly component is potentially the best depending on your gear.

In the various TV edit suites I use, I really can't see that much difference,even though I know component should be better...

A personal choice I think.

7. nelthel

nelthel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A personal choice it probably is, but try getting one of the retailers with the TV's on display to demonstrate it properly.

They give you a blank look when asking about the various inputs. :D

8. clety

clety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh 32zd26p hooked up matching DVD 520 player. I am now using component cable with green,blue and red phono connections but all I get is sound and no picture. I tried all ouput.

I matched the right colours connection. I.e. green cables into green socket and the rest.

The sound from the DVD player comes on EXT 4 but no picture just the blue screen. I can't even get the DVD menu up. The cable I got is the JVC component video cable and is different audio and video cable, which has different colour plugs.

Have I brougt the wrong cable or the made wrong connection.

Please help.

9. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    clety,
    connect a scart from the dvd to a free scart on the tv,go to this av input and you should see the menu,you then need to set up the dvd to video or s-video,not rgb as the tosh can't output rgb and component at the same time,things should then be ok on ext 4

HTH

johnski

10. clety

clety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I 've connected via Scart but again can't get the DVD picture just the the sound. Strange, as it was fine all week, connected via scart to Ext 1 which is RGB enabled. This afternoon, I took the Scart lead out and put in Component cable but had sound only and no picture.

Now when I put the scart lead back on again, I still don't have picture but sound! Mind you my best scart cable with gold connectors was slightly damaged during connection so I tried my next ordinary basic Scart cable but no joy.

My ordinary scart works with Skydigibox but not on the DVD player. I don't understand what's going on. So now I am just watching Sky with my basic scart cable.

11. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you connect yout TV with the component cables first - and forget the sound at present - can you see a picture?

If not, either your DVD is not putting out component - you might have to set it up in the menu - or the TV is not set properly to receive it - again into the TV menu.

My TV only shows a component key on the menu when it's getting a signal, otherwise it only offers RGB or S-Video as options.

Once you get the picture to appear, you go back and either connect the sound with two more phono leads, or a digital link if you have it.

Then the sound should arrive no matter what the picture setting is...

Does that make sense?

12. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I bought the tosh 36" picture frame for precisely this reason, if you can live with its built in features its is in all other ways superb and as small as most 32" sets.

By the way you do get automatic switching to widescreen via component, but only on region 2 discs. Region 1 discs are ntsc and dont autoswitch.

13. bommaren

bommaren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See how much you have to pay for the
    Pansonic 32PS20.
    In Sweden it's near £1000.

It can accept 576P and 480P,
    in other words progressive PAL and NTSC.

-B

14. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info on switching.

I had kind of assumed that WS switching was a European issue and the US consumers were not that interested.

However now that the US is going WS through HDTV, I guess it will become the norm for component kit too.

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this make any difference if you watch everything in the TV's widescreen mode anyway?

16. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes becuase it switches back to 4:3 for the extras on the dvd. And presumably will switch the tv to 4:3 mode for dvd's of materail filmed an that ratio such as older tv programs.

Why would you watch everything in widescreen mode though? My set has 4:3, 14:9, cinema, cinema with subtitles, super wide and widescreen, and I pick the best one to suit if the source does not auto switch.

IE a video recording from an analogue transmission with bars top and bottom is best watched in cinema as it then fills the screen, widescreen will just stretch it out without increasing the vertical size leaving bars top and bottom, and everything ends up short and fat.

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never seen that happen and I only use R1 DVDs.

I only use widescreen mode because I only ever watch regular TV on Sky and only ever VCR off of Sky.

Also, my SCART lead doesn't support switching and I'm a lazy ******.

18. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi
    I have a Panasonic TX32PH40 which you might get for around a grand if you shop around. It has component inputs and all though it's not mentioned on the web site or any where else for that matter it will put out a PAL progressive picture, providing your DVD player can do this.

ASH1