1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component inputs-europe

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by keyser, Mar 23, 2002.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here in europe we have sources that send out progressive scan, like my pioneer dvd player and I also have a usa nintendo Gamecube, and they always do this via component lead. But we have no TV´s that can display a progressive input, but there are TV´s like the Toshiba´s that have component inputs. So if we are to fully use the progressive scan component output of the source, then there are plasma TV´s and projectors. But there are TV´s in the US that have component inputs and can display progressive inputs, arent there?
    Are there models like this to be available anytime soon in Europe, because like I said I have a progressive capable DVD player and console, and have been waiting for a TV to make use of this. Should I wait, or is a Tosh tv with component inputs and no progressive input as good as it will get. (I have read reviews from the states that there is quite a difference from a gamecube s-video dislplay and a component progressive one, which is supposedly much better).
    p.s. all help here has been very much appreciated

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    The problem seems to be related to the lack of an offically approved PAL progressive standard.

The usual suspects are dragging their heels due at least in part to the high quality of PAL progressive outputs and the perceived risks of high quality copies being made via PAL progressive outputs.

The reality is of course that several current DVD players will output PAL progressive and some PDP's and projectors will happily display it.

You will not actually see many, if any, domestic TV's with the capability till it is officially approved though.

Mark

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent really being following the progressive stuff but i seem to recall something about PAL progressive not working with macrovision that was a problem.